77 Composites wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

Anybody have any experience of the 77 Composites wheelsets presently available through our forum sponsor Starbike? I like the look of the 41mm deep clinchers with Extralite hubs - certainly seem pretty light, reasonably priced and home mechanic friendly compared to Lightweights etc. Haven't seen any in the real world so just wondering what the story is. Ta
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Akennelly

by Akennelly

If memory serves, Godzuki used a low profile set built to Extralites. His post gave heaps of detail on the rims. They're the supplier of Tune rims or something along those lines I seem to recall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Akennelly

by Akennelly

"I was intrigued by the secret Chris Froome rim that he used in the 2013 Tour de France on Mont Ventoux. It turns out that he was using a Tune Skyliner rim. Correct me if I am wrong but Tune used to use Rims made by Xentis from Austria. I actually own a set of Tune Schwarzrennar wheels and there is a Xentis sticker on the rim. Now for 2014-2015 Tune uses a company called 77 Composites for their flagship Tune Skyliner wheelset"

From Godzuki26's BH build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125101&start=30

dak

by dak

liam7020 wrote:Anybody have any experience of the 77 Composites wheelsets presently available through our forum sponsor Starbike? I like the look of the 41mm deep clinchers with Extralite hubs - certainly seem pretty light, reasonably priced and home mechanic friendly compared to Lightweights etc. Haven't seen any in the real world so just wondering what the story is. Ta

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I am looking at the 41c also and was wandering if in the last year since this post if anyone else is riding these wheels and can provide any feedback. Please include your weight as part of your thoughts as I am about 85kgs.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I was looking at them closely, and saw a review in German where the rider said the brake surface became uneven/pock-marked from memory. He said the after-sale support was basically non-existant. Also think there was some flex in them, but not an unacceptable amount. I'm sure you can find and google translate the review if you look hard enough.

Earlier this year they put up the price by €300 or €400 and I noticed that claimed weight increased from 1057g to 1100g.

Beaver

by Beaver

You are welcome: :)

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

I was also interested, but the brack track without a texture or friction adding material like basalt is a generation behind. Weight is not everything.

dak

by dak

4ibanez wrote:I was looking at them closely, and saw a review in German where the rider said the brake surface became uneven/pock-marked from memory. He said the after-sale support was basically non-existant. Also think there was some flex in them, but not an unacceptable amount. I'm sure you can find and google translate the review if you look hard enough.

Earlier this year they put up the price by €300 or €400 and I noticed that claimed weight increased from 1057g to 1100g.

Thanks for the reply 4ibanez. I am most concerned about the issue of flex when sprinting and climbing given my weight so that's not rosy as I hoped for. :(

Beaver wrote:You are welcome: :)

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

I was also interested, but the brack track without a texture or friction adding material like basalt is a generation behind. Weight is not everything.

Thanks Beaver. I will have to read at home as google translate is blocked at my office for some reason. I agree about the texture on the brake track. I have a super cheap set of Chinese clinchers that blow away my ENVE 6.7's for braking performance.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

RyanH

by RyanH

Ya... No.

It's unfortunate because I found them to be quite nice. Braking was really good, maybe a mild pulse but barely perceptible. I'm not a big fan of shallow carbon rims because they tend to flex laterally when climbing out of the saddle. These resisted that fairly well. Overall, they seemed like great wheels and even more astonishing given the 780g weight. But, that seems to have come at the cost of being extremely brittle.

ImageImage

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Does anyone know if the ax ultra 25t are the same rims
As they look identical and have identical dimensions. I have the ax lightness ultra 25t wheelset (extralite straught pull hubs, dt aerolite) and they are amazingly stiff, no different from the meilensteins i use on the same bike but with better braking. I haven't noticed any pitting on the braketrack itself but there is a bit just off it that i don't recall seeing when i first got them but it may be i just noticed it now as removing glue takes longer than applying.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beanbiken

by beanbiken

NiFTY wrote:Does anyone know if the ax ultra 25t are the same rims
As they look identical and have identical dimensions. I have the ax lightness ultra 25t wheelset (extralite straught pull hubs, dt aerolite) and they are amazingly stiff, no different from the meilensteins i use on the same bike but with better braking. I haven't noticed any pitting on the braketrack itself but there is a bit just off it that i don't recall seeing when i first got them but it may be i just noticed it now as removing glue takes longer than applying.

I hope they aren't the same........ I also are very happy with mine. I use the Corima cork pads and braking is nice and progressive and silent :) Have also not noted any degradation to the brake track, post an image and I will compare with mine, thanks
BB

Coffee & carbon

Beaver

by Beaver

https://shop.77cycling.com/road/laufrad ... ra-760g-28

Yes, they are - just avoid bottles. ;)

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

other experiences ?
http://eliflap.it/

twostroke

by twostroke

Stay away. They are having big problems, I ordered a wheelset beginning of May which was supposed to be delivered in one week. I received earlier this week my money back from PayPal, they kept promising it was coming next week and I really lost all my patience.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

I have asked to a German shop, they gave me a lot of words about safety of the rims...

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
http://eliflap.it/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Buy AX 25T, they're cheaper and at least you can hope to have some support in case something goes wrong.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike