Lazer Z1 helmet weight discrepancy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I ended up with small (manufactured sticker 2014/10, 230 grams) and medium (manufactured sticker 2014/11, 250 grams). Based on manufactured date, both helmet are from the same batch. Typically, small helmets 10-20 grams lighter but not in this case! On my scale small 255 grams and medium 233 grams. This is odd.
http://www.lazersport.com/product/bike- ... -mat-black
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

That is very odd. You measuring the S with the aero shell on? :lol:

My size medium Z1 weighs 229 gm, if I recall correctly.
That was without any of the attachments (aero shell, LED, etc.) but with full straps (uncut) and stock pads.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Look like your medium is ~ 4 grams lighter, within range. What puzzles me is weight of the small one! ~ 22 grams heavier. Both helmets (small and medium) were on my weigh scale without attachments, uncut straps and stock pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

BRM

by BRM

Don't understand your text.
They are different products, how can they belong to the same batch? :roll:

It looks odd that the smaller one is heavier. Must be an explenation for and I can come up with the following:

- It is possible that they have made enhancements and one size has them and the other not.

- Also helmets for different markets need to comply different standards.
Look if there is a diff in standards on the labels.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

BRM wrote:Don't understand your text.
They are different products, how can they belong to the same batch? :roll:

It looks odd that the smaller one is heavier. Must be an explenation for and I can come up with the following:

- It is possible that they have made enhancements and one size has them and the other not.

- Also helmets for different markets need to comply different standards.
Look if there is a diff in standards on the labels.

I beg to differ. It is the same product. What I mean by "batch" is production date within 30 days range. If one product was manufactured in 2014 and the other in 2015/2016 then yes, there could be invisible difference where manufacturer is not obligated to tell consumer. In this case we are talking about products that were made within 30 days of each other, both have a sticker inside "LZ-HH013(Z1)"

sungod

by sungod

to be from a 'batch', they would need to be made in the same mould - but that won't be the case if they are different sizes, so they'd be physically different products from different batches

aside from that, a stick-on label will be the assembly 'batch', the components, foam core, outer shell, cradle, etc. will have been made in batches at different times, maybe weeks or months apart

weight difference could be simple process variation - from your measurements the medium is c. 7% under, and small c. 11% over compared to the nominal weights on the labels, doesn't seem an excessive variation

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I just got another one in size Medium. Guess what?! It's 273 grams.

Small (manufactured sticker 2014/10) = 255 grams
Medium (manufactured sticker 2014/11) = 233 grams - manufacturer defect or one-off?
Medium (manufactured sticker 2014/12) = 273 grams

Now we are talking about 40 grams discrepancy. I don't make noise for no reason.

BRM

by BRM

In a review I read:
While Lazer claims the AS/CPSC version weighs 220g in a small — and CE production model weighs 190g in a small — our Australian standards medium sample tipped the scales at 242g, 8g below the claimed weight for this size.

Source:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... met-48418/

sungod

by sungod

mpulsiv wrote:I just got another one in size Medium. Guess what?! It's 273 grams.

Medium (manufactured sticker 2014/11) = 233 grams - manufacturer defect or one-off?

Now we are talking about 40 grams discrepancy. I don't make noise for no reason.

you said previously that the label weight of medium was 250g

233 is a difference of 17
273 is a difference of 23

there is no "40 grams discrepancy", there is one unit c. 7% below label weight, there is one unit c. 9% above label weight

both within 10% of nominal weight stated on the label, seems perfectly reasonable

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

BRM wrote:In a review I read:
While Lazer claims the AS/CPSC version weighs 220g in a small — and CE production model weighs 190g in a small — our Australian standards medium sample tipped the scales at 242g, 8g below the claimed weight for this size.

Source:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... met-48418/

I mentioned before that all come from the same source.

BRM

by BRM

Ok, send Lazer a mail and ask to clear things up.
But format your mail in a way that they don't give you a generic answer . . . :wink:

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

sungod wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:I just got another one in size Medium. Guess what?! It's 273 grams.

you said previously that the label weight of medium was 250g

233 is a difference of 17
273 is a difference of 23

there is no "40 grams discrepancy", there is one unit c. 7% below label weight, there is one unit c. 9% above label weight

both within 10% of nominal weight stated on the label, seems perfectly reasonable

Who care what the label say? I can't think anyone the industry that provide accurate weights besides boutique http://fairwheelbikes.com
My concern is 40 grams discrepancy for identical helmets in size Medium, which could be a safety issue.

sungod

by sungod

it's not a 40g discrepancy, discrepancy implies error/fault, you have presented no evidence for that

presumably the manufacturer has quality control and established procedures for checking product before they release it, a minor weight deviation in an assembly of non-precision components seems perfectly reasonable

if you can't accept that you should give up on lazer and get a different helmet, though it'll still be luck of the draw whether what you get weighs what the label says

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

sungod wrote:it's not a 40g discrepancy, discrepancy implies error/fault, you have presented no evidence for that

presumably the manufacturer has quality control and established procedures for checking product before they release it, a minor weight deviation in an assembly of non-precision components seems perfectly reasonable

if you can't accept that you should give up on lazer and get a different helmet, though it'll still be luck of the draw whether what you get weighs what the label says

Once again, I take manufacturer label with grain on salt. I'm not in the position to offend Lazer (in this case) for labeling the product with weight that is far off the chart but rather I'm asking whether 40 grams of weight reduction could be a safety issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

what 40g reduction?

nominal weight 250g for medium

did you measure a medium at 210g?