2015/2016 helmets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheatonrunner69

by wheatonrunner69

I haven't been able to find much on low weight helmets recently (the last two years). As far as I can tell, Mavic has one of the lightest for a "reasonable" price. Are there any other lids that are comparable? I haven't seen much from other companies below the 230-250 gram range. Mavic claims 210g for their Cosmic ultimate in size medium:

http://www.mavic.us/helmets-road-cosmic-ultimate-helmet

Thanks,
- Pablo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chris47

by chris47

Although not being very new, the limar ultralight sure is light. mine weighs 175 grams

junchen

by junchen

I'm using a specialized prevail 205g,but it's not cheap, and am looking for one with similar weight but around a budget of 60 usd.. Will be interesting to see if I can find any..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

I am going to break with WW tradition and strongly suggest that weight should be the last item on the priority list when it comes to helmets. Sure crashes are relatively rare for most of us, but based on personal experiences dealing with the effects of the head injury my wife suffered in a very low speed crash early last year, I will never consider any helmet that lacks an adequate retention system and MIPS or similar safety features!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Was your wife wearing a helmet?

I have cracked helmets twice in different crashes before MIPS or whatever the new sales slogan is and my head fared fine.

As long as you get something decent thats approved you should be fine.

Right now I have an MET Rivale which the site states 230gms and it feels very light.
Also have my old helmet a Spez Echelon and has served me well.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm quite excited about the new Orbea helmets, will get the R50. It is available in small and at 2-digit figure price.

Have cracked a helmet once, but that was beginning of the 90s when some didn't have a hardshell yet, just foam. Since then I've always fallen onto other body parts and at rare times cracked them ....

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

The helmet community has been discussing slip planes for years, and has been cautiously examining the MIPS data to evaluate the advantages if any. Everyone agrees that mitigating rotational force is important for injury protection, particularly for anti-concussion effects. But there are questions about how much a slip plane actually helps. Helmets are not coupled closely to the head, and will slip anyway.

In the meantime, do you need MIPS? Using careful evaluation, we can't answer that.

Long story short, helmets with MIPS technology haven't been proven to be a safety feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

cucci35

by cucci35

I'm Asian, so almost helmet's isn't fit to me....

Envious European.

DMF

by DMF

Is there any consensus regarding the effects on ventilation on account of adding MIPS? Like say a Giro Synthe Mips versus a Synthe non-mips? Somehow feels like fitting a thick non-breathable plastic shell close to your skull would impair ventilation?

I realize most Mips-constructions have cut outs corresponding to the vents, but even so, no modern day high end helmet sits stuck close to your skull where there are no vents.

I'm just curious. Is there a consensus? Or anyone's personal experience on identical helmets with and without Mips?

mrgray

by mrgray

cucci35 - i am curious as to what aspect of helmet design is a fail for the asian head? can you tell us pls?

i am currently searching high and low for a low weight helmet that stretches to a 59 cm in a medium. giro aeon is a good one at around 218 g i believe.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

yongkun

by yongkun

The giant helmet are really light and cheap - you get what the pro tour teams are wearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRM

by BRM

duvivr6 wrote:
I have cracked helmets twice in different crashes before MIPS or whatever the new sales slogan is and my head fared fine.

As long as you get something decent thats approved you should be fine.

Helmets only gives minimal protection.
In some cases Mips can help. Doesnt say you benefit with every crash.
Your individual experience says nothing and cant be the standard.

When a helmet cracks it doesnt say if you were not wearing a helmet your skull was cracked.
Helmets crack per design to take away the energy from your head during impact.
It is even possible, despite your 2 cracked helmets, when you were not wearing a helmet during these crashes you also were fine.

Wearing a helmet that is approved is definitely not a garantee your head is safe in a crash.
Wearing a helmet is a good idea to give you some protection but is often overrated as well.

You are extremily vulnerable on a bike. Riding with a proactive approach is maybe more benificial than just wearing a helmet . . .

BRM

by BRM

wheatonrunner69 wrote:I haven't been able to find much on low weight helmets recently (the last two years). As far as I can tell, Mavic has one of the lightest for a "reasonable" price. Are there any other lids that are comparable? I haven't seen much from other companies below the 230-250 gram range. Mavic claims 210g for their Cosmic ultimate in size medium:

http://www.mavic.us/helmets-road-cosmic-ultimate-helmet

Thanks,
- Pablo

Fit is the most important factor.
Your focus should be on that first.

:wink:

ms6073

by ms6073

duvivr6 wrote:Was your wife wearing a helmet?

Yes, a 4-week old Lazer Z1 I had gotten her for Christmas to help deal with the heat and humidity common to the Texas gulf coast!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

DMF wrote:Is there any consensus regarding the effects on ventilation on account of adding MIPS? Like say a Giro Synthe Mips versus a Synthe non-mips? Somehow feels like fitting a thick non-breathable plastic shell close to your skull would impair ventilation?

I had a MIPS Synthe - I broke it last week crashing out in a race. It certainly seemed hotter to me. The thin plastic shell inside seemed to work as a barrier to hold in sweat and moisture. I cannot say 100 percent if that is true, but it seemed that way to me. It certainly felt hotter than my past Ionos and Aeon.

Also, I hated the MIPS set up. MIPS uses these little yellow rubber bands to hold the two shells together. With the Synthe, the placement of the bands created a hard nob that dug into my head. I had to glue additional padding into the helmet to cover it. Other people I know with the Synthe MIPS did not have the same comfort issue.

I've ordered a non-MIPS Synthe as a replacement. I will try to circle back to let you know if it seems to vent better.