2015/2016 helmets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

topflightpro

by topflightpro

ms6073 wrote:I am going to break with WW tradition and strongly suggest that weight should be the last item on the priority list when it comes to helmets. Sure crashes are relatively rare for most of us, but based on personal experiences dealing with the effects of the head injury my wife suffered in a very low speed crash early last year, I will never consider any helmet that lacks an adequate retention system and MIPS or similar safety features!

I have to completely disagree here. All helmets have to meet the same safety standards regardless of weight. And I would much rather reduce the amount of weight sitting on my head than sitting under me as I pedal. After several hours in the saddle, the lower weight helmet is appreciated. Also, solid retention systems can be made lightweight. For example, I could turn my head upside down and the Synthe would stay on even without the chin strap.

I can also say that I have cracked three helmets in crashes - Giro Atmos, Ionos and Synthe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

topflightpro wrote:
I have to completely disagree here. All helmets have to meet the same safety standards regardless of weight. .

That only says something about the MINIMUM protection a helmet should provide according a particular standard.

For different regions in the world there are different standards anyway.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

@BRM, copy I get what you are saying.

I can tell you my first crash would be a different story if I did not have a helmet on. I was hit by a car flew over the hood and landed on my head on the other side like 10 feet way. Dislocated/tore my shoulder out and other than a really bad headache my head was in one piece. My second time I don't remember my helmet hitting the ground but it was all scratched and cracked... Fell on a hairpin turn that I took to fast.

@ms6073, man that sucks. Hopes she does well.

ms6073

by ms6073

duvivr6 wrote:@ms6073, man that sucks. Hopes she does well.

Thanks. She has been back to regular riding since October of last year and managed a solid progression and is now back to pre-crash fitness levels, suffering thru a 50-60 minute trainer session during the week and intermediate length rides (55-65 mile) on the weekends.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Hexsense

by Hexsense

mrgray wrote:cucci35 - i am curious as to what aspect of helmet design is a fail for the asian head? can you tell us pls?

i am currently searching high and low for a low weight helmet that stretches to a 59 cm in a medium. giro aeon is a good one at around 218 g i believe.

I am an Asian myself and i can says that my head is a bit more round(rather than oval) than what helmet company usually design for. It's tight on the side near my ear but if i adjust the helmet bigger then it's far too loose on front and back.
Here is example of some helmet fitting on my head.
Specialized Evade -> worst fit on me. It's far too long when the side is already the right size.
Bontrager Ballista -> Feel okay at first because it sit pretty low but still pretty bad after a while because of tension on the side the head.
Gyro (tried cheaper one, not Synth) -> okay-ish (so it's fine for Asian round head).
Kask infinity -> very good fit! It's now my current helmet. This helmet got some bad review about them running small, actually it's not small at all they are just designed for rounder head rather than oval.

PS. i think many helmet company have Asian fit version for Asian country. I'm just happened to be an Asian in USA so bike shop only stock normal version. :roll:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm Asian too and I have just ordered a Ballista without trying one on. No shops have them in stock. My helmet is probably due in July. I don't have a round head so it's probably going to be OK for me fit-wise.

Btw the head shape is determined by the sleeping position as an infant. I slept on my stomach so my head is more ovalized. My sister who slept on her back has a rounder head. I've seen non-Asians that have rounder heads. I've heard that sleeping on the back causes fewer sudden infant death syndrome. So perhaps some non-Asian cultures are changing their long-standing tradition of letting infants sleep on the stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexsense

by Hexsense

pdlpsher1 wrote:I'm Asian too and I have just ordered a Ballista without trying one on. No shops have them in stock. My helmet is probably due in July. I don't have a round head so it's probably going to be OK for me fit-wise.

Btw the head shape is determined by the sleeping position as an infant. I slept on my stomach so my head is more ovalized. My sister who slept on her back has a rounder head. I've seen non-Asians that have rounder heads. I've heard that sleeping on the back causes fewer sudden infant death syndrome. So perhaps some non-Asian cultures are changing their long-standing tradition of letting infants sleep on the stomach.

Don't worry, it won't be too bad. My bad feeling amplified when i use sunglasses with the helmet on long ride (both squeeze side of my head). So i end up not using sunglasses with Ballista at all. Just use it if you like it, it'll be fine :)

wheatonrunner69

by wheatonrunner69

Do you have any specific weight numbers for small and medium? Giants website has their top road non-aero helm at $155 USD, but I have not been able to find any weight figures.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/ge ... 508/56567/

yongkun wrote:The giant helmet are really light and cheap - you get what the pro tour teams are wearing

wheatonrunner69

by wheatonrunner69

The Limar Ultralight looks like quite the great choice. Can you confirm the weight for a medium is 175? I've read a few reviews that show the weight at 210 for medium (but none of them show the weight on a scale). If the weight is 175g, I'm all aboard the Limar train!

Thanks!

chris47 wrote:Although not being very new, the limar ultralight sure is light. mine weighs 175 grams

R350

by R350

I currently have the Giro Savant, a real budget helmet.

In the market for a more aero yet cool helmet to make my napper look a tad more, funky.

Currently looking at : S works Evade, Giro Synthe MIPS and the Bontrager Ballista.

The latter seems to be winning me over, big time.

chris47

by chris47

I think mine is a small, but here is a scale shot :)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My Limar Ultralight in size M weighs 217g.

CeeJayCee

by CeeJayCee

I have a Uvex Ultrasonic helmet (Size M) and it weighs 217g.
I also have a BBB Kite (M) which weighs 214g.

Both are actual weights from digital kitchen scales.

wheatonrunner69

by wheatonrunner69

Thanks for the input everyone.

I ended up going with the Limar Ultralight. It's quoted at 175g online for a Medium, but the box says 215g. The digital scale has it at 217g. It's hella comfortable and you can barely notice it. Plus at 215'ish grams its still nearly 75 grams less than my old helm.