UCI weight rule and cyclocomputer?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2lo8

by 2lo8

It occurred to me, if you made a Garmin mount, but added a screw that would lock it and prevent you from removing the Garmin, would the Garmin still count as an easily removable accessory, given that you would need a tool to remove it? Obviously you would only turn in the lock screw on a race-day, every other day it would be a perfectly normal quarter-twist mount.

What do you think a race commissaire would say? I know the clarification guide says such as computers, but it specifies it's because it can be taken off during the event. If you made it tool-only removal, it wouldn't be able to be taken off during the event. What would a race sommissaire say if you had a vintage speedometer without a quick release mount?

The weight of a Garmin is not insignificant. If I patent "cyclocomputer mount designed to prevent tool-free removal of device to circumvent UCI weight limit rule and get your team a 100g advantage" maybe I could make millions?
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

ms6073

by ms6073

You do know the UCI is rumored to be in consideration of lowering the weight limitation? The relevant UCI article is paraphrased below, but to answer your question, as the UCI views a computer and its mount as 'removable accessories', unless the computer mount is manufactured such that it constitutes a structural member of the frameset, stem, or handlebar, then I do not think it will make a difference.

ARTICLE 1.3.019
“The weight of the bicycle cannot be less than 6.8 kilograms.”
The minimum weight of the bicycle (in working order) is 6.800 kg, considered without on-board accessories in place, that is to say those items that may be removed during the event. The bottles, on-board computers and all others removable accessories must be removed during the weight check. However, the bottle cages, fixture systems and clipped-on extensions are part of the bicycle and stay in place during the weighing.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

I know they are considering it. The text of the clarification says accessories that can be removed during the event as the deciding factor.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

If you're loosing because of 100g it's not the fault of the 100g ;)
Using Tapatalk

tmr5555

by tmr5555

I believe your idea falls into a grey area and would be pushed into the illegal zone by the commissars interpretation of the laws.
As far as they're concerned however much the computer is fixed with a screw, it still is a computer, as per rules computers are not accounted for in weigh ins.

ms6073

by ms6073

I think the exception might be the SpeedX Leopard 'Smart' bike Kickstarter campaign that has the computer integrated into the stem.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

BRM

by BRM

2lo8 wrote: If I patent "cyclocomputer mount designed to prevent tool-free removal of device to circumvent UCI weight limit rule and get your team a 100g advantage" maybe I could make millions?

You realy think you can get patent for that? lol
You really think such a thing wil deliver you millions?

:lol:

lewolive

by lewolive

There is another strong advantage with using your Garmin mount. If your's is stiff enough you can use it as TT bars ! It's almost as efficient as the vintage Cinelli Spinacci, used in the 90's, but as of today, you can race with holding your bike computer and you can save 20, 30 or maybe 50W or more using that aero position, depending on your speed... It's not really safe, but safer than holding the housing.
So, the aero advantage of the computer mount is more on the aero than on the potential weight saving with UCI limits.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

So apparently the guys over at K-edge seem to think it would work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRs-9GM0H6g

Team SKY said they would look into it, they also seem to be using K-edge and switching to Wahoo Bolt. No response when asked for a follow up comment (perfide Albion?). K-edge claims to have come up with the idea independently, which I'm skeptical of. They claim they decided to put the extra screw in to lock it to prevent it from being stolen, then they claim that they never intended to talk about it, but BikeRumor noticed the screw and asked, and he just happened to know the UCI rule, and he happened to ignore the part about computers, and came up with the UCI explanation on the spot. Seems like a stretch to me.

@BRM I can't tell if that response is actually serious, it was obviously in jest, why would you ever publicly announce something you intend to patent?
[2lo8.wordpress.com]