Zipp 404 NSW vs Enve 4.5 on crosswinds

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Gazelleer wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:My 404 NSW's are as good as my older 303's with heavy cross winds. Having said that, my Campy Bora Ultra 50's are vastly superior to any aero wheel I've ever ridden before.

In what respect?

Way stiffer, spin better, much better in cross winds. The Zipps do have slightly better braking, though.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've had 4 sets of Enves (3.4, 4.5, 6.7, 1.25) and 2 sets of Zipps (303, 404) and it's extremely unlikely that I'd ever pay more for an Enve over Zipp again. The 4.5 and REGULAR 404 is SO close as far as speed, comfort, braking, and handling (coming from a 164lb rider).

That said, I'll throw in another vote for the Reynolds Aero. Lighter, stiffer, and better handling than any Zipp or Enve I've owned (well, the 1.25 was lighter). My only gripe about the 58s is they are almost too stiff - the ride is a little tough.

As for braking, I was very content with my 303 and 4.5 with DA9000 calipers. Now I'm running EE and the 4.5s didn't stop nearly as well as my Reynolds. That was the final decider for me to sell the Enves!

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Imaking20 wrote:I've had 4 sets of Enves (3.4, 4.5, 6.7, 1.25) and 2 sets of Zipps (303, 404) and it's extremely unlikely that I'd ever pay more for an Enve over Zipp again. The 4.5 and REGULAR 404 is SO close as far as speed, comfort, braking, and handling (coming from a 164lb rider).

That said, I'll throw in another vote for the Reynolds Aero. Lighter, stiffer, and better handling than any Zipp or Enve I've owned (well, the 1.25 was lighter). My only gripe about the 58s is they are almost too stiff - the ride is a little tough.

As for braking, I was very content with my 303 and 4.5 with DA9000 calipers. Now I'm running EE and the 4.5s didn't stop nearly as well as my Reynolds. That was the final decider for me to sell the Enves!

Ah thats really interesting to know! I am riding Enve 6.7 clinchers now and am waiting for the Aero 58s to clear through customs. To me the Enve's are a bit mushy to ride - not very stiff, and fairly uninspiring to climb on. Braking is mediocre compared to other carbon rims out there. They dont feel any faster than the Xentis Squad 5.8 or the Easton EC90 Aero 55's I had, nor to the hubs feel particularly slick (the Easton Echo hubs were really nice - kinda like Campy). Swirling cross-winds can violently grab the rims on the odd occasion but they generally handle pretty well. They do feel smooth/comfy and they look great. Overall, they arent worth the $$$, I'd rather ride the Xentis.

What tires and pressures did you run on the Aero 58s?
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I think you'll be pleased going from the 6.7 to the 58! I was very underwhelmed by the 6.7 tubular and barely put any miles on them. The 4.5 is definitely improved, but still a but uninspiring IMO.

On the 58 clincher, the best comfort I found was on 24/26 Turbo Cottons. Unfortunately, those clincher really don't like latex tubes. I started out with 23mm Corsa Speed tubulars on the current set and it was just brutal kbut they're light!) At around 95psi. I'm not doing 85 psi on 25mm black Paves and the ride is much improved.