Debating a new bike.... F8, Madone 9 or De Rosa SK?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GASer

by GASer

Juzonbike wrote:Canadianbiker - that combo sounds like the same as I would go for it I pick the M9 - those wheels would be easier to pick, but they did say I could swap to Enve.
GASer - thanks for your comments. I also would have to order the SK unseen. What wheels did you pick? How's the bike feel to ride? As per the reviews? Comfortable?

Check my post here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139223

Bike rides great but I am only riding on smooth flat roads so far, with minimal elevation. Feels very fast on the long stretches and rides me home comfortably after 100km rides.
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juzonbike

by Juzonbike

It turns out I broke my Look 595 since writing this post (bike on roof racks while driving into the garage....). So now I need to actually decide.
I test rode a Dogma F8 and a Madone 9 (one of the Tour Down Under race bikes). The Madone was impressive! The cost is huge though.... I can get a better deal on the De Rosa SK and a Canyon Aeroad has also been suggested (also much cheaper than the Trek).
Also debating Zipp 404 NSWs (cent get a better deal) or Enve 4.5s (lighter)......

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

get whatever bike you think looks cooler because at 40 doing 200km a week none of these bikes are going to make you any faster

gerardk1111

by gerardk1111

Sorry, I know it is not one of the choices you ask about, but i will throw it out there anyway!!

Scott Foil Team- By far the best value and BIKE!!!!!!

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Here is an update as I've had the M9 now since June 7th and I've ridden over 1500kms on it... The bike is so amazing I bought my son one of the Grey/blueish ones that were the first shipment to stores last fall on a discount, I built his with Ultegra to keep the cost down.

My M9 is built with a 52/36 and a 11/28 and for that reason it took a while to get the setup properly, I did not want a 50/34 as we run mostly on flats and like I said our climbs are small and the 53/39 was too big for me. I regret my decision a bit, I've had 0 issues with he 52/36 but when we get near the end of a long ride and I have a 300m climb a 50/34 would of be nice. The Etap is great, takes some tunning up front and for 1500kms I've only charged it once. The bike itself is incredible, I can't say enough good things about it. The bike is fast, accelerates like crazy and is extremely comfortable. My biggest surprise is how well I am climbing with it, yes in a 20% pitch for 800meters I am struggling (mostly gear ratio I think) but for a 95kg+ Rider I can do it.

To this day I don't regret my purchases one bit, like I said on top, my son competes and I bought him one as I can't believe the difference it makes. The other bikes I am certain are great and I would of been happy with them and I know the M9 is a TREK and no-one wants a TREK heck I didn't want a trek but this bike is special its the start of a new breed of bikes. Whatever you buy you will be happy it, good shopping and let us know what you pick.

Juzonbike

by Juzonbike

Thanks for all the help and advice. I ended up buying a De Rosa SK Pininfarina, etap, Enve 4.5s etc. It's awesome! I'm super happy.
I test rode a Dogma F8 and a ex pro team Madone 9. The Trek was awesome - very impressive. To me personally the De Rosa feels very similar, the closest of any other bike I've riden. I'll post some pics shortly.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Have test ridden all 3 of these

F8 - best all-rounder aero bike
Madone 9 - great on flat straights - not so great at going uphill :(
De Rosa SK - similar to the Madone9

SRAM eTap is great - easy to setup, easy to operate/maintain

ENVE wheels - you can't go wrong with these - stiff, light, aerodynamic :)

enjoy!!
ianSWBB

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ianSWBB, that is funny!

A big dealer of Pinarello told me that F8 is great for all things but certainly not a climbers bike.
I would pick a Madone 9 of these bikes. But i agree, it does not strike the right chords to say it.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

AZK

by AZK

Juzonbike wrote:Thanks for all the help and advice. I ended up buying a De Rosa SK Pininfarina, etap, Enve 4.5s etc. It's awesome! I'm super happy.
I test rode a Dogma F8 and a ex pro team Madone 9. The Trek was awesome - very impressive. To me personally the De Rosa feels very similar, the closest of any other bike I've riden. I'll post some pics shortly.

Great choice :beerchug: , All excellent bikes but The De Rosa Pininfarina Super King would of been my choice as well.

Not that it should be a deciding factor, but exclusivity is always a nice extra, & judging by the amount of Dogmas and M9s I've seen lately the De Rosa Pininfarina Super King ticks that box with a paint brush.

Also just being able to say 'De Rosa Pininfarina Super King' when people ask you what you ride is just so grin inducing.

Looking forward to the pics

Juzonbike

by Juzonbike

Here's a few pics.
Specs:
Size 48cm De Rosa SK Pininfarina
Etap
Quark power cranks
Enve 4.5s with Chris King hubs
Enve stem, aero bars, Enve Garmin mount
Enve bottle cages
Astuteitalia Skycarb saddle
EE Cycleworks direct mount brakes
Look Blade Ti pedals

Handle bar height undecided - hence not fully cut yet : )
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

AZK

by AZK

:thumbup: Looking smart & purposeful. The build sheet should bring in a good weight for a aero bike with power?

I'd probably simplify a few small things. full black seat, rims with a slightly more negative degree stem so its parallel to the dominant top tube plane expressed on this frameset.

Enjoy the bike, Wouldn't mind seeing some High Res pics when you done with your setup.

Juzonbike

by Juzonbike

AZK I couldn't work out how to do higher res pics? When I try to upload pics it says they need to be 160kb or less - hence the low res quality..... It took a while to make the photos so crap : )

1415chris

by 1415chris

Please let us enjoy the build, use flickr or any other photo host site.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

De Rosa will seem more unique on the road and high end, but ultimately you should buy the one that fits and rides better and that's subjective.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com