Rotor inpower or power2max

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Hi guys I'm looking at getting my first power meter. I am looking at either the rotor inpower or power2max spider for my crank. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the power2max spider but I can get the inpower from the lbs cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with either of these power meters? Any help would be appreciated :D many

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

You'll find many positive posts about p2max on this board.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

p2max does almost true 2 sided measurements and rotor's is only 1 sided, there's also the confidence of having one of (if not) the best power meter in the market with tons of reviews and users. If the price difference is not too much I wouldn't give a second thought and get the p2max.

Stueys

by Stueys

Power2max, every time, it's tried and tested. I run a type s and am really pleased with it.

Inpower is one side only which introduces an additional variable that you don't need into the mix, the dual sided one looks interesting but no-one produced a detailed review with a nice consistent data set that I've seen.

ms6073

by ms6073

mariovalentim wrote:p2max does almost true 2 sided measurements and rotor's is only 1 sided

I am confused, doesn't the P2Max measure power based on deflection of strain gauges integrated into the spider on one side of the bike in the same manner as an SRM? Maybe how terminology is being applied the reason for my confusion, but from my perspective, without an actual measurement of torque applied by each leg, how are the P2MAX and SRM not considered single sided powermeters?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jekyll man

by jekyll man

P2M measure total power, and decides from your power pulses what is the split L/R.
Its not a straight forward 1L 1R, but includes so much pull up from the opposing side.

What is referred to generally as "single sided" just assumes a doubling up of L power
Official cafe stop tester

stormur

by stormur

I'm at the same point of decision curve as OP, so follow many sources to aquire as much info as possible; On slowtwitch is topic about P2max real life issues. It's not so "wunder meter" as many declare here.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Giant DK

by Giant DK

I have both SRM and InPower. I don't experience any measurable differences. Maybe if you are a track and sprint guy and want to meassure your 1 sec power single sided InPower is not the best option or if you have a big difference between your left and right leg power and this difference varies a lot. I also have Garmin Vector and with this I have observed my left right balance over time and at different intensity and have meassured that I generally have a 49/51 balance which I via the InPower software have compensated for.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

Stueys

by Stueys

stormur wrote:I'm at the same point of decision curve as OP, so follow many sources to aquire as much info as possible; On slowtwitch is topic about P2max real life issues. It's not so "wunder meter" as many declare here.

Can you reference the concerns you've seen? I'm interested.

The only comments I recall from ST were the temp comp issues that the original P2M had, (which have long since been addressed). You seen something new?

Re L/R balance, I think one sided meters were great when the cost of 'full' power meters was high; stages essentially disrupted the market which we should all thank them for. But the differential between full meters and one sided is now close enough that, IMHO, it makes sense to go full and take that variable out of play.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Giant DK wrote:I have both SRM and InPower. I don't experience any measurable differences. Maybe if you are a track and sprint guy and want to meassure your 1 sec power single sided InPower is not the best option.

Looking like a power2max at the moment, I race mainly crits and I consider myself a sprinter. I read the inpower doesn't catch sprints that well. :D

rossjm11

by rossjm11

InPower caught my sprints fine. But, with that said, P2M is probably a better option. The most annoying aspect of the Rotor PMs is they keep coming out with new ones, making the others seem obsolete hahaha
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Stueys wrote:
stormur wrote:I'm at the same point of decision curve as OP, so follow many sources to aquire as much info as possible; On slowtwitch is topic about P2max real life issues. It's not so "wunder meter" as many declare here.

Can you reference the concerns you've seen? I'm interested.

The only comments I recall from ST were the temp comp issues that the original P2M had, (which have long since been addressed). You seen something new?

Re L/R balance, I think one sided meters were great when the cost of 'full' power meters was high; stages essentially disrupted the market which we should all thank them for. But the differential between full meters and one sided is now close enough that, IMHO, it makes sense to go full and take that variable out of play.

Topic on ST has several pages... spend some time and read the source ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)