Bike sizing question from retul fit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adg7

by adg7

Hi, question re fitting and bike suitability.

I currently ride a felt f6 2013 (size 56) I had a retul fit a couple years ago and from that I have the following figures;
Frame stack 552 mm
Frame Reach 401mm
What confuses me is the manufacturer quoted stack and reach for the frame are 562mm and 390mm. i thought these would be a constant?

The reason I'm getting into this is I was looking at either an aeroroad or ultimate cf slx. My felt is reasonably comfortable so going on manufacturer stack and reach figures the ultimate cf slx would be more appropriate (567 and 391) with the aeroroad (551 and 397) being quite a radical and aggressive change.
However if I'm to believe the retul figures (which I could be misinterpreting) then the aeroroad wouldn't be such a change.

Any insight would be helpful as I'm a bit confused.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

I have had a Retul fitting. For my F8 in size 54 per Pinarello the reach is 386mm and stack is 550mm. My retul measurements were 385 and 554 respectively. I'd say these are darn close and just a slight margin of error. This could be the frame or it could be the fit. For me its so close I'd call it spot on. In your case there must be something wrong...like the sensors were misplaced or??? Try to do the measurement manually to compare.

wingguy

by wingguy

adg7 wrote:Frame stack 552 mm
Frame Reach 401mm
What confuses me is the manufacturer quoted stack and reach for the frame are 562mm and 390mm. i thought these would be a constant?

That's odd. The chart I just found says 548/397. Seems like you need to grab a tape measure and find out for real.

However if I'm to believe the retul figures (which I could be misinterpreting) then the aeroroad wouldn't be such a change.

The stack and reach chart of the frame you just happened to be fitted on is only a small part of the story, really. How is the bike set up? Stem length / angle / spacers? Really you want to know the stack and reach to the handlebar clamp and work back from there.

2lo8

by 2lo8

http://2013.feltracing.com/USA/2013/Roa ... t-FC-.aspx
http://2013.feltracing.com/USA/2013/Roa ... it-F1.aspx

F1 and FC have different geometries.
F1 56cm is 390 reach 562 stack
FC 56cm is 397 reach 548 stack
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Handlebar reach and stack (beside the frame suggestions) are the useful numbers:
adg7.JPG

Frame reach and stack just give you a ballpark, as mentioned by 2lo8 - it's the location of the bars that really matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

adg7

by adg7

wingguy wrote:
adg7 wrote:Frame stack 552 mm
Frame Reach 401mm

That's odd. The chart I just found says 548/397. Seems like you need to grab a tape measure and find out for real.

The stack and reach chart of the frame you just happened to be fitted on is only a small part of the story, really. How is the bike set up? Stem length / angle / spacers? Really you want to know the stack and reach to the handlebar clamp and work back from there.

So...
Handlebar stack was 647mm when I had stem flipped for more comfortable position, I've now flipped it back down.
Handlebar reach is 475mm

It's a 100mm stem with 40mm spacer stack.

Saddle height is 786mm

So even though I've flipped stem back the way it should be, with those spacers this is still a relatively relaxed position.
If I were to remove the spacers would that give me more of an idea if I could cope with a lower position?