Lazer's Z1 and LifeBEAM heart rate...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Lazer have done a nice job in updating ventilation for the top line lid...

I like the LifeBEAM monitor as well... Rechargable, 44 grams, easy install and no more chest strap.

Review is here: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/lazer-z1lifebeam-heart-sensing-head-gear/#.V0Xa_fkrLuo

dntong

by dntong

I have the Z1, and was thinking about adding this, but at $110, i think it a little overpriced. Especially when you consider the price of the Z1 already making this an almost $400 dollar helmet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I use that very same helmet and I have to admit the LifeBEAM is a nice idea, but two misses for me in that:
- At 43 grams is it adding almost a 20% weight penalty on my head/neck, an area where I have problems to begin with.
- I would still need two HR monitors as I ride indoors a lot and would not be sitting on the trainer wearing a helmet like a Fred (be I one or not already.)
Chest straps do suck - still think that biometric baselayers are the way to go - Someone really needs to take that and run with it properly.

I would say that the Lazer Z1 helmet has not disappointed in fit, air flow, weight and looks though.
The build quality is top notch. I have not owned a Lazer in about 10 years. They were good back then and they have only improved since. The removable LED light on the back is expertly integrated as is the removable plastic aero/rain shell.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Couldn't get mine to work consistently, if at all. In fairness life beam tech support was very proactive, asking me to send them strava files but I just lost interest. Hope the new ones have a better sensor interface as mine kept losing signal after about 5 mins. Serves me right for being an early adopter and buying off the net.

BRM

by BRM

Its just waiting on universal systems that can be used in other helmets too.