Why is release tape not available to make tubular mounting cleaner and better?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

One of the best things about using Tufo tape for mounting tubulars is the release tape that covers the adhesive tape while you are mounting the tires. It prevents the tires from sticking to the glue and allows for perfect centering and straightening of the tire. Then you just slide the release tape out from between the tire and the adhesive tape and voila, a perfect job.

So why isn't a two sided version of tape available to be used with old fashioned tubular cement. After prepping the rim and tire you would just cover the glued surface of the rim with a strip of the release tape. Mount the tire and it wouldn't stick to the rim. That would alowl you to straighten and center the tire. Then remove the release tape, and once again, a perfect and much cleaner job.

I may start saving the release tape I pull off of Tufo tape just to try an old fashioned glue job sometime using it. Someone should put that stuff on the market for bicycling.
Robert

joec

by joec

ineresting thought, I wonder if helicopter tape could be used at a push.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

Rim cement lets you readjust anyway and after a few tires' experience you'll get it straight anyway. Having the second layer on Tufo tape is really less for mounting the tire on the rim and more to be sure the adhesive tape doesn't stick to the next layer on the coil of tape. The two layers are slightly different in terms of how much the adhesive sticks to it.

You can take some electrical tape and put it over the rim cement on the tire right before mounting the tire. However, note that most tape products will react with most adhesives on tapes, so put it on and take it off immediately. I've tried it a couple times as an experiment and it didn't work any better than mounting the original way.

russianbear

by russianbear

I use a little water (in a fine mist bottle) on both the tire and rim right before mounting. Gives you plenty of time to play around with getting the tire nice and round.

by 11.4

The water trick works, but be sure the water is completely evaporated and the glue bond is strong before riding. If not, the tire can not only roll but also slide up against the valve stem. Spraying with water should not be necessary. It isn't hard to mount a tire and get it straight. You can always lift the tire up and straighten it out, even after you've put some pressure in it to check alignment and then deflated it again. There's just no need to complicate the gluing job. Every little variation or addition to the process increases the opportunity for problems to arise. Keep the gluing job simple and clean and you'll have fewer problems. You really don't need to do anything extra to readjust your tire alignment on the rim.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Well, I hear what you guys are saying, but I find the release tape to be one of the real improvements of the Tufo taping process compared to regular rim cement. DSFDF
Robert

Geoff

by Geoff

Once you've done a couple of tires, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. If done properly, the tire can quite easily adjusted so as to be dead straight (or pretty close to it) before the glue sets-up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com