Tyres for Zipp 404? 23/25c?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

mpulsiv wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:For those who run different size tires, do you find the front tire get too old since they never wear out? I could see that as a downside. Currently I do a tire rotation when the rear tires is almost worn out. Otherwise the front one will probably last two years before they are worn.

Tire width doesn't play a role in wear but weight distribution does as much as 30/70. Rear will always wear out faster. Put bathroom scales under the wheels and have someone hold you while you sit on the bike.

In my case the wear distribution is more like 15/85. The rear wheels is the drive wheel and the front wheel just rolls along. I also ride a tandem and on that thing the wear distribution is more like 5/95. The rear one will be worn and the front one will still have the molding strip in the center of the tire intact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

pdlpsher1 wrote:For those who run different size tires, do you find the front tire get too old since they never wear out? I could see that as a downside. Currently I do a tire rotation when the rear tires is almost worn out. Otherwise the front one will probably last two years before they are worn.

Simple. Replace the front after two rears.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Use the old fronts on your fixie [emoji14]
Using Tapatalk

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I guess if you didn't ride that much the front could eventually get dry rotted or something. I usually go through 2-3 rears for each front.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

25C would be slightly better.

I mounted 23c to the front and 25c to the rear.

I would have chosen 25c to both.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

To stir the pot a little further, tubeless?
Using Tapatalk

Junior7

by Junior7

I do not like wheel with tires with different measures.

This using 23, then buy a 25 and see if it is better, but when you finish the tires back to 23.

cucci35

by cucci35

I recommend 25c too

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I recently switched from 23c all around to 25c all around. After reviewing the available data, I was willing to make the slight aero sacrifice on my 404's in order to maximize comfort. I also find that some of the quoted tire pressures are completely based on old/bad science.

http://cyclingtips.com/2009/03/what-is- ... -pressure/

Given that I'm a heavier rider (100kg), I go slightly higher, but never inflate my rear tire more than 85psi (90 when I was riding 23c). I haven't had an increase in flats or any difference in speed, although I do feel much more comfortable in the saddle, and riding over rough Texas chip-seal is much easier.

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

Post deleted

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I'm back to 24fr/rr lately with Turbo Cottons my new CLX64 clinchers. With the 21mm inter rim width they measure out to 26mm. I also got rid of my old 23/25 tubies, and all the tubies I am riding now are 24mm as well. They seem to ride and grip well. I feel like the aero could be better with a smaller front tire, but with the grip, and road feel of the current setup why bother.

illskittlz

by illskittlz

what about 24mm sworks turbo tires?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Turbo and Turbo cotton have similar Aero profile.
Regular Turbo's sidewall are not as soft, thus higher rolling resistant (and cheaper price).

Turbo's thread at the center is thicker (2.6mm vs 2.1mm) so it would be much more durable as the tire start to look worn and is puncture prone when it worn to about 1.8mm

so normal turbo would be a good training tire due to cheaper price and longer life. But for proper racing, use Turbo Cotton.
(Hint: use Turbo Cotton on the front on training would not be bad either, since front tire are rarely worn out anyway)

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Hexsense wrote:Turbo and Turbo cotton have similar Aero profile.
Regular Turbo's sidewall are not as soft, thus higher rolling resistant (and cheaper price).

Turbo's thread at the center is thicker (2.6mm vs 2.1mm) so it would be much more durable as the tire start to look worn and is puncture prone when it worn to about 1.8mm

so normal turbo would be a good training tire due to cheaper price and longer life. But for proper racing, use Turbo Cotton.
(Hint: use Turbo Cotton on the front on training would not be bad either, since front tire are rarely worn out anyway)

This is all true. However with the introduction of the Venge ViAS and the CLX64 wheelset, a new 22mm version of the Turbo was developed for the front. The result is the "Win Tunnel Engineered" 22mm Turbo that measures to a 24mm on the CLX64, and CLX32 wheelsets, or anything else with a 21mm internal rim width. I personally need to spend more time on the Turbo 22/24 combo, but my affinity for the cotton tires, make it hard for me to ride anything else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

S-Works Turbo Cotton is high tpi (supple) dedicated race tire. S-Works Turbo is high performance tire that you can train on. Detailed specs and test methodology can be found at http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder