DA 9070 sleep mode?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

All the (visible) connections are fine! I just checked both hoods, front and rear mech. Before any other shift, I checked the battery status : red. When I tried to shift the front mech, no movement, but a flashing red light. After some more clicks, front mech 'woke up' , shifted and no flashig red anymore, although battery charging status was still red. This worry me a lot, because I charged the damm thing last sunday, and charging light went off after an hour or so. But I've only done 150 miles after last charge this week. What's worse : I charged the battery this evening again, and after 5 minutes, the charging light went out.

All this makes me think the battery is shot (total of +/- 6000 miles), or there is a short somewhere. Can diagnostic tell me that? (short or battery dead) Very embarassing, as I have a 120 mile century on saterday. Don't want to risk a complete failure mid ride, and no way I'll have the time to buy and mount a new battery tomorrow :evil:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

I'm back from the LBS : diagnostic revealed nothing wrong. He checked connections, also on junction B, everything was fine. With the type of behave I had, the months of trouble free operation and the trouble free operation after 'wake up' it could not be a wiring issue. I appreciate the tip for checking connections, but don't understand the exagerated reactions of f.ex goodboyr. I never said is didn't want to check :wink: , it's just that I didn't saw the added value of a complet connection check given the situation, e-tube check and global behavior.

Bottom line : as nothing was found, it could only be the battery. So changed it and back home, put it into charge. From flashing green to fully loaded took a little less than 1 hour. Seems about right. Will do a short ride tomorrow (instead of the planned century) to ensure everything is OK. And if so, fingers crossed I'm good again for months of trouble free use :D

Leviathan

by Leviathan

"Have you checked your cable connections" is the Di2 equivalent of "have you tried switching it off and on again". The unrelenting dogma of the clueless. There are times with di2 you've just got to take it to a good shop and say "fix it".

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Not nice.......Leviathan. You weren't around to give advice, so the ad hominem is not welcome.
Furthermore, for those that have di2 experience ( and my assumption is that you are not one of those) a connection that is not fully plugged in will give these symptoms. So the only clueless person here is.......
As for the op, you asked for advice, and those that had experience gave it. The reaction was that you appeared initially to not want the advice given. That's all.

Delorre

by Delorre

After 2 rides, I can tell you that eveything is OK now with the new battery. LBS will send the defective one back to Shimano, and if they agree, I'll get a refund. Was pretty shocked when I saw the price of the battery, 200€ :shock: But I didn't pay anything for the complete check-up, BB removal etc. :thumbup:

ipanel

by ipanel

Just to add a +1 and show that this can still happen with later di2 (2018 purchase):
My symptoms were very similar, first tap sometimes ignored, particularly after a period of inactivity, front or back, and same behaviour on road or statically in a stand, so doesn't sound like connection issues. Swapped the battery to another bike, fault followed it. Shimano have 2-year warranty on these components, it was about 1 week to go :-)

ipanel

by ipanel

sorry, double submitted and can only edit not delete this copy...