Tufo tape damages Gigantex carbon rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chris101

by chris101

I've always been a big fan of this tape, clean and easy. Never really took much notice of what damage it might be doing on removal, however after reading several posts on here I decided to take a closer look.

I wont be using it again! Now that I've invested in some better wheels its glue from now on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gavf

by Gavf

You shouldn't be using tape anyway, ever.

chris101

by chris101

Not anymore, lesson learnt!

muntos

by muntos

Gigantex...?

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I bet heat from a hair dryer would keep that from happening. Tape mounting is the best thing to happen to tubular tires since they were first invented.
Robert

chris101

by chris101

I've got another tub to take off next month, so I'll definitely be trying the hair dryer trick.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Yeah, heat is the answer. If you can place the entire wheel out in the warm/hot sunshine until it's good and toasty that will never happen.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

by 11.4

Almost any carbon rim can pop an occasional piece of carbon fiber loose. If it isn't buried under resin, it's at risk. And often flaws or unevenness in the rim bed is adjusted with resin and short bits of carbon fiber. This means there's always a chance of this kind of thing happening. I've seen it on Reynolds, Enve, Dura Ace, Campy, and practically every other rim.

Tufo Tape isn't all that strong an adhesive, but the strain you can put on a rim bed surface by pulling Tufo Tape loose is much greater than what you get from pulling a tubular loose or cleaning rim cement off the same rim. Especially if you pull it off in a jerky motion, with fast intervals, it will do its best to pull any loose bits of carbon fiber loose. I've seen rims that chronically pop carbon fiber bits loose, and have mixed up some West System epoxy and painted a couple coats on the rim tire bed. It doesn't add appreciable height to the rim bed but it does stop the flaking.

viratelle

by viratelle

rpenmanparker wrote:I bet heat from a hair dryer would keep that from happening. Tape mounting is the best thing to happen to tubular tires since they were first invented.

+1.

Most rim manufacturers stipulate you should not rip the tubular from the rim but use a thin tool (screwdriver?) to separate tubular and tape/glue first...Which I don't see many riders do...

Gigantex..?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com