Campagnolo Shamal C17 or Bora One 35 ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

I was thinking of popping for a pair of Bora One clinchers, but now that the new Shamal C17 has the wider rim, is there any real reason to go with the Bora? Weight difference isn't big, not much aero difference, and with the Shamal you have the practicality of the alloy rim. Am I missing something?

TimW

by TimW

Let me throw another one into the ring as I was debating similar last year. I love Shamals but their narrow width put me off and I wanted something lighter if possible. Almost went for Bora 35 but in the end went for Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon. 17mm width, 30 depth, blunt profile. Light..mine weighed 1338g. Basically a carbon Shamal. Really pleased with them. Worth it if you can get a good deal, full retail too much IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rogma84

by Rogma84

Carbon or Alu and twice the Price . Is it worthe? Its on you .

morrisond

by morrisond

I'll second the Fulcrum Zero Carbon Clinchers.

They have a nice rounded profile so are not affected by crosswinds at all.

Awesome wheels, and roll just as good as my Bora Ultra 50mm Tubs(but better in crosswinds).
Last edited by morrisond on Tue May 24, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rogma84

by Rogma84

For the Price of the Bora 35 you can choose a individuell Wheelset with King Hubs and Carbon clinchers of your Choice .

morrisond

by morrisond

Rogma84 wrote:For the Price of the Bora 35 you can choose a individuell Wheelset with King Hubs and Carbon clinchers of your Choice .

Yes you can - and if you can find a hub that rolls with less resistance than a Campy USB or Ultra hub go for it.

They are incredible hubs and Campy makes a fantastic Wheel.

You would be very hard pressed to come up with a Custom Wheelset that offers the same stiffness, durability and performance.

I've had a lot of King Hubs and I love them but Campy's seem a lot smoother.

fogman

by fogman

Are the Shamal Ultra C17 available for purchase yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

lowside67

by lowside67

Yes. Merlins has the best UK price - way better than PBK. Mark

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

TimW wrote:Let me throw another one into the ring as I was debating similar last year. I love Shamals but their narrow width put me off and I wanted something lighter if possible. Almost went for Bora 35 but in the end went for Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon. 17mm width, 30 depth, blunt profile. Light..mine weighed 1338g. Basically a carbon Shamal. Really pleased with them. Worth it if you can get a good deal, full retail too much IMO.

This is good. I never really looked at Fulcrum. I assumed that they just mirrored the campag wheel line up. But this zero carbon sits right in the middle pricewise, between shamal and bora. I think maybe it is down to shamal c17 vs fulcrum 0 carbon.

lowside67

by lowside67

I have only found one place which seems to have the Zero Carbon priced below the Bora - Evans Cycles. At all others, I find the Bora is usually similar priced, and given that the Bora is a known (and excellent) rim which is a little deeper, I think it seems to be the way to go at the same price.

Probikekit ($CDN/delivered to Canada): Zero Carbon $2,152, Bora One $1877.
Merlins ($CDN/delivered to Canada): Zero Carbon $1901, Bora One not stocked.
Evans ($CDN/delivered to Canada): Zero Carbon $1682, Bora One $1960.

Mark

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

fogman wrote:Are the Shamal Ultra C17 available for purchase yet?

It depends. I have seen a few sites with the Shamal Ultra C17 for sale, as mentioned above. However, I have yet to see anyone with the Shamal Ultra 2-way fit C17's for sale.

I've checked US and European sites and all of them either don't list the 2-way fit wheels for sale or show them for sale, but with a note stating that they're not yet in stock. I called a few bike shops and no one had an estimated release date for the 2-way fit.

I checked in with Campagnolo North America yesterday and was told only that the C17 2-way fit will be released "later this year", i.e., there is no release date set in stone for it.

So if you're looking for 2-way fit Shamals, it's going to be a bit of a wait with no definitive release date as of yet.

TimW

by TimW

lowside67 wrote:I have only found one place which seems to have the Zero Carbon priced below the Bora - Evans Cycles. At all others, I find the Bora is usually similar priced, and given that the Bora is a known (and excellent) rim which is a little deeper, I think it seems to be the way to go at the same price.

Probikekit ($CDN/delivered to Canada): Zero Carbon $2,152, Bora One $1877.
Merlins ($CDN/delivered to Canada): Zero Carbon $1901, Bora One not stocked.
Evans ($CDN/delivered to Canada): Zero Carbon $1682, Bora One $1960.

Mark

Picked my F0s up during a PBK Sale with a huge discount. The Bora is of course fantastic and it was a *very* close call, but what swung it for me was:
Less common
Lighter Rims
Spoking
Usable by Campag or Shimano (resale)
Same Campagnolo quality

That and the Bora 35 is not especially Aero anyway and for me side winds are more of a problem.

Still if I could have both I would [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

lowside67

by lowside67

Sure but the king hubs are really no advantage over the fantastic Campagnolo Record hubs in the Bora, so you have to find a rim that is both lighter or more aero. What would it be?

Mark

TimW

by TimW

Huh? Fulcrum zero hubs are basically Campagnolo hubs..same USB cup and cone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lowside67

by lowside67

Rogma84 wrote:For the Price of the Bora 35 you can choose a individuell Wheelset with King Hubs and Carbon clinchers of your Choice .

lowside67 wrote:Sure but the king hubs are really no advantage over the fantastic Campagnolo Record hubs in the Bora, so you have to find a rim that is both lighter or more aero. What would it be?

Mark

TimW wrote:Huh? Fulcrum zero hubs are basically Campagnolo hubs..same USB cup and cone.

My post was responding to the previous poster who was doing the generic "blah blah, why would you buy a factory wheelset when you can have a wheelset handmade by angels that weighs less than air itself for like $100" that comes up every time somebody discusses a premium factory built wheelset. I, and I think most others here, know that Fulcrum = Campagnolo.

Mark