Cervelo S2 2009/2010 or R3 2013?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KAoslo

by KAoslo

Hi guys,

I currently ride a Caad 10, but I am gonna get a Cervelo soon. Since I don't want to spend so much money on a new bike, I am going to buy a used one. I have two alternatives now: An S2 2009/2010 and an R3 2014 (grey/red). Both in great condition.

I know they are two quite different bikes, but i just want to hear an opinion from someone with experience with either one of the bikes. The R3 is newer with full Ultegra groupset, while the S2 is some years older with SRAM red.

What do you guys think is the best buy based on the age of the bikes, and the different model?

I am very greatful for all responses!

Thank you in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dfischer1

by dfischer1

See if you can find a used 2014 R3. I say that because 2014 has the new generation stronger/lighter frameset and internal cable routing, but the 2013 does not.

Both the R3 and S3 are very good bikes, but they're also very different bikes. What are you looking to do with them?

junchen

by junchen

Because it's WW, it's gotta be the sram red, despite being 10 speed et al.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

KAoslo

by KAoslo

Thanks for the replies, guys.

It's mostly flat roads where I currently live, with the occational climb. I love to climb, but first of all I want a fast bike, that climbs ok as well. That's why im leaning towards the S2. Even if it is a 2009-2010 model, the one I am looking at are in mint condition, and the frame is still a excellent frame in 2016 I belive.

nycebo

by nycebo

I call bogus on the S2. Get the R3. Lighter (this is weight weenies after all) and unless you're horizontal when you ride, the aero benefit is marketing. Now, if you prefer the look of the S2, then that's a different question altogether. It sure is pretty.

geedawg

by geedawg

i had a 2009 s3 and a 2013 r3. honestly ended up riding the r3 a lot more, and built it up really light. not worth getting the s2 unless you're going to get aero wheels with it imho. with some 404's on there though, the s3 flew. plus, gotta think if you're going to fender the bike up at any point. . .here in seattle that is a must. the s3 couldn't fit any fenders, so became just a good weather bike for me

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

nycebo wrote:I call bogus on the S2. Get the R3. Lighter (this is weight weenies after all) and unless you're horizontal when you ride, the aero benefit is marketing. Now, if you prefer the look of the S2, then that's a different question altogether. It sure is pretty.

Interesting, I didn't know the frame changes shape when you sit up and ride on the hoods.

grilledcheese

by grilledcheese

I haven't ridden an S2 but I have an R5 and it rides super nice. Good stiffness in/out of the saddle for climbing and the thin seat stays absorb a lot of vibration. I can ride a lot of gravel and it handles well with good traction. I think the pre-2014 cervelos are spec'd to fit 23c tires (maybe squeeze in a 25), which may be a drawback compared to the newer ones which are spec'd to 25c and I've fit 28's before.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I personally would not buy a used Cervelo. I had a couple of frames crack, and plenty of riders in my cycling club broke Cervelo's as well. Brilliant warranty, changed with no problems or hassle, but that will not cover you used.

Nice bikes to ride though and more than handy if you want to do a bit of TT'ing with a reversible seat post. I had one fail at an awkward time of year and I lost my only racing bike for six weeks of the season meaning an early end to my season. After that I decided not to ride them.

ChanheeLee

by ChanheeLee

cervelo s2 is 10 speed gears?

if so, I recommend r3.

kervelo

by kervelo

grilledcheese wrote:?..I think the pre-2014 cervelos are spec'd to fit 23c tires (maybe squeeze in a 25), which may be a drawback compared to the newer ones which are spec'd to 25c and I've fit 28's before.

I have a 2009 S2 and can confirm that wide wheels and tyres fit nicely. My powertap wheels are 25mm wide and I use conti 4000sII tyres, 25mm back, 23mm front, with no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clm2206

by clm2206

justkeepedaling wrote:
nycebo wrote:I call bogus on the S2. Get the R3. Lighter (this is weight weenies after all) and unless you're horizontal when you ride, the aero benefit is marketing. Now, if you prefer the look of the S2, then that's a different question altogether. It sure is pretty.

Interesting, I didn't know the frame changes shape when you sit up and ride on the hoods.

No, but your lovely aero frame doesn't ride itself alone without you. More than 90% of the front rider/bike resistance is the rider, so aero frames and their gains are a scum. As that bike manufacturers alleged gains get dissolved, you should also consider that those gains assumes wind coming directly in front of you, which almost never happens. Finally, is the rider power what moves the bike forward, hope you can pace at least at 45 k/h to feel some of that marginal gains.

Sent from my SM-E700M using Tapatalk