pave cg tubulars for racing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mikematic85

by mikematic85

hi all, i have recently bought myself a 2nd hand set of carbon tubular wheels. originally i thought i would use them for fast training rides and the occasional crit race so i bought a set of vittoria pave cg tyres but have not fitted them yet.

It is now looking more likely that these will be used for racing only as i'm feeling the urge to to start racing properly for the first time.

question is ? shall i send the tyres back and buy something faster/lighter such as corsa sc tubs? or will they be fast enough to race on anyway?

my local crit race is held on a far from perfect road surface anyway so maybe they will be ok?

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Run your current tires to the cords while aging the Vittoria, during that time you can decide what's best. Im coming from a set of 25mm conti Competition front/sprinter rear, (the front alone has ~10000km of racing and training over the last year) I got a set of 25mm Evo CG III's on now and have a few hundred km, but there are many better tires to choose from. I run on the lower end of the PSI spectrum, 50 - 80 psi depending and im ~63-67kg FWIW. Honestly I can't tell the difference between the conti and vittoria. Maybe my next pair will have to be some Dugast PR Silk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikematic85

by mikematic85

the original tyres that came on the wheels were vittoria rally so i was hoping for something faster

i guess the paves wont exactly be slow? i use gp4000s ii and schwalbe one in clincher if that helps for any kind of comparisson?

stormur

by stormur

Pave is slower than both. Have comparison to Veloflex Arenberg : MUCH faster tire. wear seems to be slower as well ( surprise for me ). Feels better, feels faster. I did quiet easy fast cornering on Arenberg which I would never ever even consider to do on Pave. Price is quiet similar, so for me : no brainer.

Schwalbe 1 is one of most underappreciated tires ever. And I'm not a fan of "german tires"- but this stuff is really good. Didn't wear at all ( last unbelivably long ) , is fast, isn't "dead" as Conti, feels safe on wet. for 35€ - best deal for the money. Is it "best" clincher ? No. But if I have to choose just one tire to use for ever - that will be the one.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

elSid

by elSid

Just to add my 2c, vittoria pave tubulars have always felt much faster than the Veloflex Arenbergs. Veloflex also a lot more prone to punctures, at least in my experience.

To be absolutely clear, this is only my n=1 experience with tubulars, not clinchers.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

my experience:
Pavé is slower, but very comfortable. I use them specifically for training on cobbles. I live in Belgium so I can choose some training rides with 10+km cobbles easily.
Conti is fast but dead. I use these for training, as they are butyl so I don't have to pump them all the time + they are pretty puncture resistant.
Open pro is fast AND comfortable. I use these for racing but they are latex so you have to pump.

No experience with Veloflex, but I will give them a go.

(disclaimer: all of this assuming you compare apples to apples (same tubular width!)

CulBaire

by CulBaire

I will chime in, I actually raced on the Pave CG Tubs for the first time this morning; coming off Corsa SC's (and EvoIII) it is definitely a more comfortable tire but slightly slower also - these will be going on my every day wheels and maybe reserved for racing on dead roads.

They seem like a great tire for sure; whether they are the right tire for your purposes will depend largely on what the surface you are racing on is like. :noidea:

mikematic85

by mikematic85

thanks everyone, i appreciate the feedback. i think i will send them back as they are still in the packet and get some corsa sc in 25mm.

sawyer

by sawyer

They do get raced at pro level - they are not the fastest but have good grip and decent puncture resistance. They ride a bit nicer than Contis
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com