Zipp 202 Firecrest clincher flex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Any thoughts on this problem team?
My dad's bike has a chain stay mounted DA9010 direct mount brake (Avanti Corsa DR) and he is running 2014 Zipp 202 clinchers as everyday wheels. He is a decently powerful rider and a bit of a gear masher (avg cadence 75-80). Pads are hitting rim most of the time - but especially when out of saddle? Hasn't had the same problem with these wheels on other bikes - will relacing rear wheel to a different hub help? Or any other thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Could the flex be coming from the chainstays? If the chainstays are flexing at the end it would cause the wheel to tilt back and forth. If the same wheel is fine on another bike then changing the hub won't solve the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinozee

by tinozee

It's a good advice to try in another bike first. Then check the way it wiggles by hand, you can tell if it's preload at the hub by hand. Could be several reasons. Any wheel can get soft with enough pounding on it. My sets of zipp firecrests have been relatively tough though. Only time I had rub it was preload.

Benno

by Benno

Those 202's are tanks. I would suspect it would come from improperly adjusted hubs or some other area, not from any kind of wheel flex.
Last edited by Benno on Sat May 21, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

GT56

by GT56

why change something to the wheels when the obvious problem is the frame > 'Hasn't had the same problem with these wheels on other bikes'

chris47

by chris47

I too had issues with brake/wheel rub on my avanti corsa dr when i was running fulcrum racing zero´s. Since then i have swapped the wheels for some giant pslr 0 carbon wheels and i dont have any issues with it anymore. I suspect that the wheels were the culprit.

NGtim

by NGtim

202's are suppose to be pretty stiff i.e. no flex. Possibly the dishing is out on the rear wheel?

addict

by addict

And rider weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I doubt 202s are stiff considering how less stiffer 303 or 404 are in comparison to other similar wheelsets.