Sram etap & 11-30 cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rickytek

by rickytek

Hy guys! I'm waiting my new Sram etap and I have a big question. According Sram manual, 28t max, but maybe anyone has a different feedback! I need 11-30 to climb Martinolo and stelvio! In your opinion can 11-30 be mounted and working well?
Thank you in advance
Richard

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

I've done it with the mechanical Red derailleur. Etap should have the same body and cage geometry- it has the same specs. I have also used 30t cogs with Shimano derailleurs spec'd for 27t or 28t max. Both Sram and Shimano hamdle 30t for most bikes to almost all bikes (Shimano). But it depends on your frame's hanger length. If your frame has a really short hanger it might not work.

The only way to find out is to try it. If it's close you can adjust the B screw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rickytek

by rickytek

eric wrote:I've done it with the mechanical Red derailleur. Etap should have the same body and cage geometry- it has the same specs. I have also used 30t cogs with Shimano derailleurs spec'd for 27t or 28t max. Both Sram and Shimano hamdle 30t for most bikes to almost all bikes (Shimano). But it depends on your frame's hanger length. If your frame has a really short hanger it might not work.

The only way to find out is to try it. If it's close you can adjust the B screw.

Thanks Erik!!! My frame is cannondale supwrsix evo hm!

civicboy8

by civicboy8

I've got an 11-32 on with my etap and it works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickytek

by rickytek

civicboy8 wrote:I've got an 11-32 on with my etap and it works fine

Frame???

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I highly doubt you can run a 32 along with the large chainring up front, and a 11 with the small chainring up front. To get 11-32 gearing you'll need a mid sized cage to take up the chain slack. Here are two pics of the Ultegra Di2 mid-cage with the 11-32. There's a good reason why you need a different RD when using 11-32.

civicboy8

by civicboy8

rickytek wrote:

Frame???

Sorry for the late reply, I have it on my SWorks Venge 2015

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

You'll be okay on the Stelvio ... Take your walking shoes for the Mortirolo.

defride

by defride

Valbrona wrote:You'll be okay on the Stelvio ... Take your walking shoes for the Mortirolo.

Couldn't have put it better!

As for Sram, can confirm that Red mechanical and a 32T doesn't work in a standard set up on a Hi-Mod but a 30T was no problem

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It'll be silly to use the 32t and still try to hang on in the large chainring... It is 'workable' enough if you are climbing mountains and the 32t can work with the 34t chainring.

eric

by eric

It makes sense if you need the 32t only for one special event and don't want a compact crank.
But if you're using it more than a time or two the compact crank and smaller cogs will give you gearing with smaller gaps between the gear ratios. That's useful to reduce fatigue on long climbing rides/races.

Marin

by Marin

eric wrote:and smaller cogs will give you gearing with smaller gaps

With SRAM, the 11-32 doesn't have a larger gap than the 11-28 - for some reason unknown to man.

The 11-30 even has a smaller maximum gap than the 11-28 for SRAM!!!

I run SRAM mechanical red short cage rear derailleurs on 2 bikes (FM066 and Ritchey Logic) and regularly use 11-32 cassettes and compact cranks on both. I like to climb at 90 rpm, and I like to have reserves for the steep stuff we have lots of here ( > 15%).

You need to size the chain for large chainring - 32 combo anyway, but be as conservative as possible. The tradeoff is low chain tension in the 2 smallest sprockets when on the small ring, but this isn't dangerous, and most people never use this combo anyway. I do however end up in 50-32 sometimes when I see that I'll shift to a longer gear soon like right before a crest, so this combo works fine in my setups.

I'm pretty sure SRAM didn't need to mess with the derailleur geometry for etap, so unless your frame has a really short hanger, a 32 cassette will probably work fine, with some B-screw tuning.

defride

by defride

Marin wrote:
eric wrote:and smaller cogs will give you gearing with smaller gaps

I run SRAM mechanical red short cage rear derailleurs on 2 bikes (FM066 and Ritchey Logic) and regularly use 11-32 cassettes and compact cranks on both. I like to climb at 90 rpm, and I like to have reserves for the steep stuff we have lots of here ( > 15%).

You need to size the chain for large chainring - 32 combo anyway, but be as conservative as possible. The tradeoff is low chain tension in the 2 smallest sprockets when on the small ring, but this isn't dangerous, and most people never use this combo anyway. I do however end up in 50-32 sometimes when I see that I'll shift to a longer gear soon like right before a crest, so this combo works fine in my setups.

I'm pretty sure SRAM didn't need to mess with the derailleur geometry for etap, so unless your frame has a really short hanger, a 32 cassette will probably work fine, with some B-screw tuning.

I'd agree that the Etap mech is likely the same geometry as a mechnical one however I think it rather depends on the frame and length of the mech hanger as to whether a 32 tooth will run.

The OP has a Hi-Mod and I don't think he'll have any problem with a 30t however the top pulley grounds out on a 32t sprocket on my Hi-Mod no matter what you do with the B screw so it's unlikely a 32t will without modification

eric

by eric

Marin wrote:
With SRAM, the 11-32 doesn't have a larger gap than the 11-28 - for some reason unknown to man.

The 11-30 even has a smaller maximum gap than the 11-28 for SRAM!!!

That's why I am using Shimano 11-28 cassettes on my sram bike. Sram's 11-28 has a dumb 19-21 jump.

I tried an 11-32 cassette with Red 2012 short cage derailluer on my Cervelo R3SL- no go. 30t is fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I tried an 11-32 on my short-cage 2012 Red RD and Argon Gallium Pro. It did not work. And it was so tight, I'm not sure an 11-30 would work either. It would be very close.

And I use the 11-32 with my Standard crankset when I go to the mountains.