Titanium spindles for PD-A600

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Anybody knows if titanium spindles exist for the Shimano PD-A600 pedals? I just put the existing ones on a scale and I think I could save a couple of grams.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Nobody?

O wait. This is a MTB pedal. Could a mod move this thread to the MTB forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maddog 2

by maddog 2

it's not an MTB pedal (but I don't know if anyone makes ti axles)

Might be interesting to compare the A600 axle to, say, an XTR axle. If they are the same then you can just fit an ti XTR axle.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Thanks. I'll compare some spindles and e-mail some manufacturers

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Hello,

I'm interested too. Some people said they changed it but without naming the model.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Offtopic but I used to use PD-A600 but switched to Ritchey WCS MICRO ROAD later on.
http://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-micro-road-pedal

With my shoe (Shimano XC61) the thread doesn't touch the side area of A600 and the cleat/pedal interface is not super stable (it can tilt left and right). Ritchey WCS Micro Road is actually feel more stable even without surrounding area. it is also weight less and has lower stack height.

Bad thing is, even though they claim to be SPD compatible but Shimano's cleat can not clip in the WCS. However Ritchey's cleats can clip in both Ritchey and Shimano SPD so i have to replace all cleats too.

I think Shimano need to update the A600. Having platform but feel less stable than platform-less pedal doesn't sound good.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

The A600 is a touring pedal and made for work with Shimano SPD touring shoes I think. Your XC61 are rigid enough to have a little pedal and maybe the sole don't have the curve for touch the edge of the A600. My Shimano CT46 touch the edge well:

So for this shoes with not a hyper rigid sole, the platform is very usefull.

I send a mail to this website and they said their spindle work with the A600: http://shop.titaniumspindles.com/CLICK- ... ALS_c3.htm

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Nice find! You Linked to two spindels. They both work?

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Same question, no answer from them.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

jeanjacques wrote:The A600 is a touring pedal and made for work with Shimano SPD touring shoes I think. Your XC61 are rigid enough to have a little pedal and maybe the sole don't have the curve for touch the edge of the A600. My Shimano CT46 touch the edge well

I hadn't seen that CT46 before. That looks like a nice modern take on the SPD sandal, but with an enclosed toe, which always seemed like a key feature for me.

I have had a similar problem with cleat pocket depths that were a poor match for pedal bodies, and allowed a lot of side to side wobble in the shoe. Some of it was due to wear, but some of it was right from the outset. A semi-permanant workaround that I came up with was to build up the shoe tread with Shoe-goo, or something similar, until it provided the desired amount of pedal body contact.

It would be interesting to know if Shimano has a specific cleat pocket depth they use for certain parts of their product line, or if it is all built around the same spec and then we are just witnessing poor control of tolerances across the whole line. Their touring/adventure product line is pretty voluminous these days, as I just discovered, with a huge variation in the tread design: http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/eu ... /index.php They do suggest certain shoe/pedal pairings, but I had always assumed that was related to the intended use, not because they have a specific depth cleat pocket/binding-platform offset spec for the pair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com