Shimano and Roto Powermeter suggestion?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kongbop

by Kongbop

I'm waiting Shimano's new powermeter and Rotor's 2inpower. :lol:

Which one could be make more precise data? Anyone have information about these?

refthimos

by refthimos

Kongbop wrote:I'm waiting Shimano's new powermeter and Rotor's 2inpower. :lol:

I know DC Rainmaker has had a 2Inpower unit for some time now and I think he just needs to write up the review. I would like to see his data once he posts it.

I've been running the 2Inpower on 2 bikes for a couple months now and it seems to be rock-solid and the data tracks very very well with my Tacx NEO as well as my "feel" from riding with PM since the Powetap Pilot Program was introduced, along with results from well-known segments on the road. No dropouts or other issues as well. So while I still would like to see the rigorous data analysis that DCR does, I am very very pleased with my 2Inpower.

The magnetic charge cord and the pulsing soft light while charging is super cool too.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bpe

by bpe

refthimos wrote:
Kongbop wrote:I'm waiting Shimano's new powermeter and Rotor's 2inpower. :lol:

I know DC Rainmaker has had a 2Inpower unit for some time now and I think he just needs to write up the review. I would like to see his data once he posts it.

I've been running the 2Inpower on 2 bikes for a couple months now and it seems to be rock-solid and the data tracks very very well with my Tacx NEO as well as my "feel" from riding with PM since the Powetap Pilot Program was introduced, along with results from well-known segments on the road. No dropouts or other issues as well. So while I still would like to see the rigorous data analysis that DCR does, I am very very pleased with my 2Inpower.

The magnetic charge cord and the pulsing soft light while charging is super cool too.

I have been waiting for DCR review of the 2INPower as well. I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems with 2INPower. How much weight did it add to your previous setup?

refthimos

by refthimos

bpe wrote:How much weight did it add to your previous setup?

I'll probably get kicked off Weight Weenies for admitting this, but I swapped from a Pioneer Dura-Ace 9000 PM and didn't even bother weighing the 2Inpower before having it installed.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

bpe

by bpe

refthimos wrote:
bpe wrote:How much weight did it add to your previous setup?

I'll probably get kicked off Weight Weenies for admitting this, but I swapped from a Pioneer Dura-Ace 9000 PM and didn't even bother weighing the 2Inpower before having it installed.

You're killing me! Why did you switch? Based on the design, am I correct in assuming that as long as it is compatible with the bottom bracket standard used on your bike there are no issues with chainstay clearances? What head unit did you pair it with?

The 2INPower is my leading choice right now, but I'm hoping DCR issues his review soon.

Thanks for your feedback.

refthimos

by refthimos

I got the Pioneer because I believed with all that advanced force vector data that I might be able to dial-in my fit using the data to get better power and performance. It became clear to me after a couple years on the Pioneer that no one, including Pioneer, can tell you how to act on that data. It's technologically very impressive, but if it's not actionable, it doesn't matter much.

I ride Q-Rings and so with the Pioneer you have to machine the rings to clear the sensor. It also uses coin batteries like most PMs. I had trouble with a couple units as well, though I will say Pioneer stepped up and replaced them.

With the 2Inpower (I have the Aero version on both my road and TT bikes), no need to machine the Q-Rings. Also, the 2Inpower constantly measures crank arm velocity so you should get better power accuracy with Q-Rings. Finally, the Rotor software provides OCP analysis to tell you which Q-Ring position is best suited to your pedal stroke. Last but certainly not least, and I know this may seem stupid, but I love love love the magnetic charge cable. With the Pioneer, you have to unscrew three tiny bolts (don't lose one!) on the drive side and a battery cover on the non-drive side to replace batteries. And of course you need to monitor battery life. The 2Inpower uses a magnetic charge cord like a MacBook laptop so charging could not be easier. It's these simple little things that I tend to appreciate. Oh I thought of another thing - no magnets needed! Also doesn't seem to require any calibration after you do it once. I haven't calibrated it once and it continues to track my NEO within 0-1.2% every time, well within the stated measurement error of both devices combined.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

As an FYI, DC Rainmaker just said on his live Q&A that he expects to have his 2Inpower review up next month (April 2017) and that it should come out after his Quarq DZero review, which will come out first.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast