Cyclist Syndrome - saddle preference

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I have been battling having cyclist syndrome for the last three years and been off the bike for a while and looking at options that might help to get me back on the bike on a regular basis. I know the routine about everyone fits a certain saddle and so on. But obviously this comes down to pressure on the man bits. Can anyone recommend a saddle experience that worked for them noseless, cutout, etc. Just looking for someone with experience and could suggest a good starting point. This problem started while I was riding on a specialized Toupe then I went to a Selle Itelia Super flow 145. So looking for options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerector

by bikerector

To really simplify things, there are 2 things I see most standard saddles doing from most brands. You can get different widths and you can get different curvature, front to back and side to side. Cutouts may or may not help.

So basically you can figure out if you need a wide (140+ mm) or narrow (under 140 mm) saddle and then flat of curved saddle. The best example I can think of is a fizik arione (flat and narrow) and fizik aliante (curved and wide).

This grossly over-simplifies the plethora of options but should help some.

Both of the saddle you've tried are of the wide and flat type. If you're not getting rubbing of the groins or back of the legs then I would stick with wide. Maybe give a curved saddle a try.

Note: IME the curved saddles can be a bastard to setup. They basically have a single sweetspot and you have to get that placed right both fore and aft as well as tilt angle. Flat saddles are a little more forgiving which is why I think people that move a lot in the saddle tend to like flatter saddles. I like flatter saddles for mtb but really like curved for road.

Some curved options: Prologo nago-evo, prologo scratch, fizik aliante, and specialized romin.

spud

by spud

maybe try something radical like the ISM Adamo.

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

Try the specialized power. It's really working for me after cycling through ~6 other saddles over 18 months. I tried the Cobb and ISM, but they were too wide for me at the nose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

I had the same problem, and also found the Specialized Power to work for me also, but it's only good if you like to stay fixed in one position.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

Check out the unsaddle. I have had them on my road bike and mountain bike for many years. Also check out dash saddles (www.dashcycles.com). I have one of those on my tri bike because it couldn't handle a round seatpost (required by the unsaddle). Tried the ISM Adamo on my tri bike and didn't really like it. I don't have any problems "down there", but I'm not taking any chances :)