Seeking feedback on New Madone 9.9

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

On a somewhat related subject. Today I rode behind someone with a Trek, one that has the isospeed decoupler. He was bouncing all over the place and I noticed the seatpost was flexing back and forth. It was amazing to see it working in action. In fact I think it worked too well as he was really bouncing up and down. I didn't get a chance to ask him but is his excess movement caused by the softer elastomer? Or is this really how it was supposed to work? We were riding on a smooth road and not on cobblestones :-) This may also have something to do with his pedaling style as he's a tall but rather skinny guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

da123

by da123

pdlpsher1 wrote:On a somewhat related subject. Today I rode behind someone with a Trek, one that has the isospeed decoupler. He was bouncing all over the place and I noticed the seatpost was flexing back and forth. It was amazing to see it working in action. In fact I think it worked too well as he was really bouncing up and down. I didn't get a chance to ask him but is his excess movement caused by the softer elastomer? Or is this really how it was supposed to work? We were riding on a smooth road and not on cobblestones :-) This may also have something to do with his pedaling style as he's a tall but rather skinny guy.

Trek Madone or Domane? There's no bounce on my Madone. Tbh, I think the softness is generally slightly overstated when people are talking about the decoupler on the Madone. Out of my road bikes, the Trek is the least soft at the rear. It's comfortable enough, doesn't beat you up and takes the buzz out of the road, but it is no sofa - it is just like a race bike should be. My Canyon and Schmolke are both softer riding bikes (albeit slower and less stiff).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A Domane. Next time when I see him again I'm going to check it out up close. His seatpost does stick out very far so that adds to the flexing. He was bouncing in the range of 2-3cm.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Just ordered my madone 9.9 ;-)
H1 62cm
Trek segafredo color
120mm 44cm steer
Vector 2 pedals
Ceramic speed BB
Shimano Di2
Aerolus 5 clincher
XXXL saddle

should be here end of June
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

da123

by da123

plasmaman100 wrote:First time a couple of spacers, second time just the single spacer, im now slammed. Yeah the di2 cable measurements as per the manual are pretty tight. The wire to the rear derailleaur on mine based on the manual I felt was a little too short really but I solved this problem when connecting the d fly unit which gave it a little more slack. If the shop have have made it a slick setup to solve the rattles they may have done the cabling as tight as possible hence the potential lack of slack. I'd just give it a try and see by loosening the brake cables. Like you I'm considering investing in a box which doesnt require removal of the bars :)

I went through the packing procedure with my LBS at the weekend. The good news is it still works even with the stem slammed, so it should fit in my Bike Box Alan. it does require the rear brake to be de-coupled, but the cables can thankfully say in situ. The key is apparently to be really careful not to kink the brake outer, as this means the whole thing would need re-cabling. The Buxum Box Ventoux model doesn't require bars to be removed, but it does require your bars to be turned through 90 degrees. At least on my Madone, this isn't possible because of the cabling, so doesn't actually provide a solution... Bike now fitted with climbing wheels and ready for spain...

Madone9.jpg

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Well, having seen a guy on our group ride that showed up this weekend on a new Madone 9 with Sram, then watch him get dropped at the same place as always...does it really matter?

$13K bike didn't do anything for his performance. And his last rig was really nice also.

Have to say also, IMHO, Sram eTap, was surprised how bulky the RD/FD are, not just the battery issue, but how they stick out seemingly further and are bigger than 9070 Di2. Nice having wireless. But long battery charges of my internal Di2, and a few wires you have to run, plus long term proven Shimano operation, wasn't impressed with the Sram.

Oh well, its your money! Do with it what you will.

kgt

by kgt

Zigmeister wrote:Well, having seen a guy on our group ride that showed up this weekend on a new Madone 9 with Sram, then watch him get dropped at the same place as always...does it really matter?

Thinking that an aero frame will make someone a noticeably faster-better rider is naive at least...

mimason

by mimason

pdlpsher1 wrote:A Domane. Next time when I see him again I'm going to check it out up close. His seatpost does stick out very far so that adds to the flexing. He was bouncing in the range of 2-3cm.

Too many people ride rigid in the saddle, ass heavy and shoulders/elbows locked. Maybe more power on the pedals and proper fit with good upper body control is needed. Or too much air pressure in the tires. So many variable to assess to call it the bike. Or the guy is handling the bike well but was spinning 140+ cadence.

da123

by da123

kgt wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:Well, having seen a guy on our group ride that showed up this weekend on a new Madone 9 with Sram, then watch him get dropped at the same place as always...does it really matter?

Thinking that an aero frame will make someone a noticeably faster-better rider is naive at least...[/quote

Don't comments like these betray a tiny lack of self awareness on a forum dedicated (at least in part) to a certain form of supposed 'performance improvement'? Why do most of us spend money on lightweight stuff if not because we think it may make us faster and enhance our riding experience?

Aero is scientifically proven to reduce the power required to maintain a certain speed in most situations (steep climbing excluded). The guy you refer to would still be getting some benefit from his Madone, but perhaps it's only a 15 watt benefit, and to avoid being dropped he needs 40 watts. Perhaps he's just getting used to his bike. Perhaps his legs weren't feeling great that day.

I am as guilty as anyone else of spending disproportionate amounts of money on both lightweight and aero things that in reality make no material difference, and certainly don't suddenly transform me into an incredible rider, but given this is the case, it would seem somewhat hypocritical to me to then criticise or pour scorn on others for doing what is essentially the same thing...

For what it's worth, the Madone has made the most quantifiable improvement to the speed at which I can ride on most terrain. It doesn't match the great feeling you get from a super lightweight bike on a big climb, hence I'll always be a weight weenie, but those experiences are limited to cycling holidays for me.

kgt

by kgt

da123 wrote: Why do most of us spend money on lightweight stuff if not because we think it may make us faster and enhance our riding experience?

Because spending money on lightweight stuff is our hobby. That's all.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Sometimes an improvement in equipment triggers a secondary response in the way we ride. People call this the 'new bike' or 'new part' effect. I know this sounds funny but the light or aero part(s) has a way of making me feel good while riding my bike. Looking at my light and beautiful front skewer while I'm on a climb seems to neutralize some of the pain and suffering, and it's a reminder that I've got the best skewer money could buy, hence I'm not leaving anything on the table. Likewise when I'm on a fast stretch I always push harder, knowing the aero benefit of my bike would enable me to go faster with less wasted energy. I have no doubt that this psychological advantage is real and in my particular case it gave me a very noticeable bump in performance. In conclusion if it feels good to be on a light bike, then it also feels good to be on an aero bike. And just because you are an aero weenie doesn't mean you are not a weight weenie.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Amen!

I noticed this every time (until my F8 became trash) when I swapped the F8 with the C59.... F8 makes KOM hunts easier.... maybe it is for a big part placebo, but still...
And yes, the C59 is not a bad bike at all... but the F8 breathes fastness....
I do believe I will get a double experience once the 9.9 will be here... 9.9 is from development point of view 2-3 years ahead of the F8...
"so it must be faster' and thus I need to prove this to myself.

Are we crazy? Yes! Spending Eur12K on a bike (ok with vector 2 pedals) is not normal.... but I like gadgets....
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

kgt

by kgt

pdlpsher1 wrote:Sometimes an improvement in equipment triggers a secondary response in the way we ride. People call this the 'new bike' or 'new part' effect.

That's true. The scientific term is 'placebo'.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

I got my new madone yesterday and I took it out for a ride and I have to say either the bike is incredible or the placebo effect in me is huge. I've never been anywhere near the top 20 in any of the segments on Strava in my area. In my ride today I got a top 4 and a few other top 10 segments. I've gone from a 53/39 chainring to a 52/36 and many of the climbs in the past I've had to drop to the lower chainring at the front, today I never left the big ring at the front on any of my climbs and have recorded my best times ever, leaving many of my mates in the dust.

In comparing to my previous bike, it is much lighter and easier to climb with. The aero of the bike and my positioning of the bike have added about 2-3km/h on the flats at the exact same power and all of this on an extremely comfortable bike.

I know I spent a fortune but I love my new Madone.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

CanadianBiker wrote:I got my new madone yesterday and I took it out for a ride and I have to say either the bike is incredible or the placebo effect in me is huge. I've never been anywhere near the top 20 in any of the segments on Strava in my area. In my ride today I got a top 4 and a few other top 10 segments. I've gone from a 53/39 chainring to a 52/36 and many of the climbs in the past I've had to drop to the lower chainring at the front, today I never left the big ring at the front on any of my climbs and have recorded my best times ever, leaving many of my mates in the dust.

In comparing to my previous bike, it is much lighter and easier to climb with. The aero of the bike and my positioning of the bike have added about 2-3km/h on the flats at the exact same power and all of this on an extremely comfortable bike.

I know I spent a fortune but I love my new Madone.

Haha. Very nice! I know the feeling! I got my aero bike and set a new PR on a 55min. climb averaging 5% :D I have a bunch of Strava PRs on both flat and climbing segments and a new KOM! I know I'm pushing a bit harder as I needed to justify the new purchase, LOL. So I believe it's a combination of real aero benefits plus some placebo effect. In any case it's the best money I've spent.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new aero toy. I still smile every time I ride mine.

You need to post some pics of your new steed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com