Best BB386 : GXP bottom bracket ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

As above. Less parts- better. Have to mount Red '15 crank on BB386 Evo BB... .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dowks

by Dowks

^ This

Just put the C Bear PF 386 Evo BB on my Cipollini and is fantastic

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I personally like Wheels manuf latest BBs. First, they are all aluminum. Not delrin/plastic. Next, they offer a wide variety of bearing options.

Lastly, most important, their latest version for PF frames are actually threaded. Just need the $15 wrench to fit the bracket. I didn't need two of them. I just did one side at a time no problems.

They still have the PF versions, also aluminum. But threading a PF bracket is easy, and there is no issues with creaking etc..very durable. Bearings can just be replaced as well in the bracket.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... ckets.html

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Are the C-Bear BBs really that good?

I've been looking into their jockey wheels too. Bloody expensive but that video of the ceramic one spinning is quality!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Zigmeister wrote:I personally like Wheels manuf latest BBs. First, they are all aluminum. Not delrin/plastic. Next, they offer a wide variety of bearing options.

Lastly, most important, their latest version for PF frames are actually threaded. Just need the $15 wrench to fit the bracket. I didn't need two of them. I just did one side at a time no problems.

They still have the PF versions, also aluminum. But threading a PF bracket is easy, and there is no issues with creaking etc..very durable. Bearings can just be replaced as well in the bracket.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... ckets.html

I like W-M too and in fact run a thread-together zero ceramic BB86 for GXP, but they don't have a 386EVO BB for 24/22mm cranks; you need to use an adapter. In theory you could buy their thread-together cups and separately source 42mm OD / 24/22mm ID cartridge bearings from elsewhere, if that's worth the trouble to you.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Zigmeister wrote:I personally like Wheels manuf latest BBs. First, they are all aluminum. Not delrin/plastic.

I think the reason for delrin cups is so that the flexible and deformable delrin takes up any mismatch in manufacturing tolerances between the frame BB shell and BB. This is the main reason why the bike industry is shifting away from BB30 and into PF30. The delrin cups in a PF30 BB can take up more tolerance than a BB30 BB which uses the frame's aluminum BB shell as a bearing race.

bikerector

by bikerector

VCRC Bike has a direct conversion BB option as well that works great.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

As I posted in the other thread...

I would also like to recommend VCRC. Best BBs I have ever used, and they\ve been in business for over 10 years. A lot of new companies pop up each year, which is fine, but vcrc offers support like I've never experienced from other companies. A lot of times the owner will send out free replacment parts to keep you going, when I thought I needed a full rebuild or new BB. I have also used Kogel, that are good, but they are still such a new company I want to wait it out. My shop likes VCRC, Ceramic Speed, Enduro and F1 Ceramic for performance, longevity, and ease of dealing with from a dealer/customer point of view.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:I personally like Wheels manuf latest BBs. First, they are all aluminum. Not delrin/plastic.

I think the reason for delrin cups is so that the flexible and deformable delrin takes up any mismatch in manufacturing tolerances between the frame BB shell and BB. This is the main reason why the bike industry is shifting away from BB30 and into PF30. The delrin cups in a PF30 BB can take up more tolerance than a BB30 BB which uses the frame's aluminum BB shell as a bearing race.

Actually the trend is toward BB30 and away from PF30. It doesn't work as planned.
Robert

ms6073

by ms6073

This discussion could go on for quite some time considering that Cannondale, the originator of BB30, have moved to its newer BB30A standard, and while I have no statistical data to back this up, seems more likely to see the FSA BB386 standard than BB30.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

rpenmanparker wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

Actually the trend is toward BB30 and away from PF30. It doesn't work as planned.

The BB30 shell in a frame is much most costly to produce than a PF30 shell. The industry wants to save cost so it's moving away from the higher-cost (but theoretically more superior) solution. On paper the BB30 is the best BB option however manufacturers can't make money making BB30 bikes so they cut corners to save costs.

micky

by micky

My vote goes to C-Bear just cause Friction Facts posted it as one of the best options in the market (Im using one since last January).

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Would like to make an update to my post recommending Wheels Mfg. They do make a very good BB that threads at the middle.

But now, and as I found out, they posted on the page in Red about the diameter DS issue of the threaded version that won't work properly on a SRAM/Quarq PM.

What I found a few months back was the wrench/flange portion on both sides, protrudes outside the normal diameter of a typical press fit bearing cup.

The inner diameter of the Quarq PM, might not clear the teeth of the BB. Also, my Quarq isn't perfectly round the inside diameter where the wavy washer goes. I started getting some annoying rubbing sounds because it "kind" of fit, but with pressure of pedaling, started to make a noise the other day.

I finally took a file and barrel sander on my drill and ground down the DS diameter of the BB teeth to attempt and provide some clearance. Haven't ridden it out to see if it resolved the issue yet. It should work though.

But, this ends up being a big problem for some people. The entire middle threaded concept is moot for Quarq PM users, like myself, unless you want to file/grind the DS teeth down to reduce the diameter to provide clearance of the ID PM. You don't need both sides to have the complete teeth to use with wrenches to secure/tighten the BB together anyway. Just a pair of channel locks/adjustable lock wrench on the NDS and the wrench on the DS, I get it plenty tight/secure. So the grinding doesn't affect the installation per se.

I might grab a Press Fit, maybe try the CBear out, just in case the rubbing isn't resolved with the Wheels Mfg on my PM. But, also I can't find them online to buy. They are in EUR, and say to contact them directly. So might just get the Wheels Mfg press fit version again in case I need to swap it.

Thx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I will throw in another vote for VCRC bottom brackets.

I purchased a press fit ceramic one for Sram GXP crank into a PF 30 shell. Installed with Loctite and it is silent. I was concerned about creaking and wanted a threaded option but resisted because of the added weight of the full sleeve designs. I will echo other VCRC customers: I am very happy with the purchase and highly recommend others give these guys a try

A few points in favour of VCRC:

The bb is very free spinning, if not quite as free as C-Bear. (Although all you can learn from a crank that spins forever in an unloaded condition is that the seals are not tight - not always a good thing. The true test is under load.)

The service from the company was extraordinary. I sent off some questions Sunday AM expecting to hear back later during the work week. I immediately (less then one hour later) received reply with patient explanation of all my questions. Follow up questions were similarly treated.

The price ($110 on sale) was by far the best of the top ceramic players (C-Bear, Kogel, Enduro, etc.)

Fast shipping

Located in North America (of course only good if you are also in North America)

VCRC has earned all my future BB business
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.