Stem Dilema

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Skylark

by Skylark

I am currently using a FSA SLK stem to go with a SS. Whilst the stem itself is plenty stiff the weakest link is with the steerer tube connection (1 1/8") which lets the stability down significantly. The FSA OS-120 which is 1 1/4" with a shim adapter provides a remit to this problem. Only thing is that stem is anything but light and lacks the premium quality looks of the SLK. I am looking any stem suggestions as viable alternatives to the SLK. But it must be stiffer -- ideally 1 1/4" at the steerer with an adapter. I can't believe FSA haven't any decent stiff stems.

NB. For those trying to provoke me once again you aren't going to get an answer from me.

Skylark

by Skylark

I'm probably looking at a slab type carbon stem of some sort. I know Time Monolink which is also plenty stiff.
Any views on CC slab stems?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

What's an SS?

Fixie82

by Fixie82

From what you've written it sounds like the older model Giant SLR stem is what you're after. Comes in 1 1/4 with a shim and is a large block of carbon. I've seen no tests on its stiffness though but for its sheer size and shape and it should be stiff. However using Fairwheels stem tests as a guide it may not be stiffer than your FSA, the Ritchey Superlogic c260 was not a stiff as its bulk would suggest with many other standard stems testing stiffer.

I'm genuinely curious as to why you believe a 1 1/4 stem with reducer would be stiffer than 1 1/8 when your steerer is 1 1/8?

Skylark

by Skylark

Fixie82 wrote:From what you've written it sounds like the older model Giant SLR stem is what you're after. Comes in 1 1/4 with a shim and is a large block of carbon. I've seen no tests on its stiffness though but for its sheer size and shape and it should be stiff. However using Fairwheels stem tests as a guide it may not be stiffer than your FSA, the Ritchey Superlogic c260 was not a stiff as its bulk would suggest with many other standard stems testing stiffer.

I'm genuinely curious as to why you believe a 1 1/4 stem with reducer would be stiffer than 1 1/8 when your steerer is 1 1/8?

That's right. The sheer bulk in the real estate of the stem gives some credance as to the stiffness/stability of the unit. But still if there is little to substantiate that bulk in terms of the unit's mass then the unit may not score any better than most stems.

The argument is simply that 1 1/4" stems are made wider at the steerer junction and this provides additional lateral stiffness/stability compared to something scrawny. Of-course the stem is then adapted with a shim in order to fit a standard steerer tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skylark

by Skylark

Anyone know of a good source of FSA Plasma which won't break the bank?