Best Aluminum Frames out

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

Actually I find that the Lobster has a very nice snap. Quite similar to my Crumpton actually.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

boysa wrote:
It is interesting, because while a lot of people talk about aluminum beating them up, I have no problem putting serious mileage on my CAAD 10.

In saying that I was too beaten up by the Spooky, it was not a criticism of alloy frames in general. I'm still riding my CAAD 5 regularly, and also a Merckx SC. These don't beat me up, and they are stiff frames.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I have a CAAD10 and reviewed a 2016 EVO Hi-Mod, there was certainly more snap to the Evo. Not enough for me to sell my CAAD...for now. Certainly enough for me to notice.

Doesn't make the CAAD a bad bike by any stretch. And it certainly out performs plenty of other carbon frames out there. But in as close to an apples-to-apples comparison as I think you could go, carbon still takes the win in all out performance. But this should surprise precisely nobody, as the investment that's still going in to carbon versus aluminium doesn't make it a very fair battle.

ch00bzs

by ch00bzs

raisinberry777 wrote:
mimason wrote:
ghisallo2003 wrote:Anodised Giant TCR.

I don't see these offered anymore. What market are you finding them?

It appears Giant have dropped them for 2016 (at least in Australia anyway, not sure about other markets).

Giant still had aluminium frames, but only marketed in Asia

such as - TCR SLR and PROPEL SLR

boysa

by boysa

@TP... You just answered my question without me even asking it!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Welcome :)

Of course this is my n=1, so others are welcome to disagree. However in areas like the BB the caad10 felt that little bit 'mushy' compared to the Evo. Would love a caad12 to see how that stacks up, but would be amazed if it was able to match the Evo.

That said, the caad10 easily feels the superior bike compared to the s2 I had. Geo alone makes it just terrific. So it's still a serious player.
Just not as perfect as some people might get the impression it is.

boysa

by boysa

I agree about the geometry, and it's why I keep riding my CAAD10. It honestly handles as if it can read my mind. It accelerates as if it's sleeping, however. Or made of wood.

I'm not getting any younger. I need all the "snap" I can get.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Off-the-rack: a new CAAD, hands down.

Among other material frames, I have custom aluminum as well as a CAAD9.

Had I known at the time how good CAADs are, I would have stayed with 'em vs. going custom. They're that good.

Paired with a great set of wheels (light, but comfortable), and that's a rig that is 9/10ths of what anyone could possibly need.

For the price, they simply cannot be beat, especially if picked up gently used for a song.

Caveat: that all presumes an off-the-rack CAAD fits you properly, of course.

KWalker

by KWalker

I have owned 3 or 4 CAAD10s, ridden a 12 and can say that the Allez Sprint outperforms both. I'd buy it over a Venge.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

How's it ride? Stiff, middle-of-road, etc.?

I flipped through a couple of reviews, seems to be positive. Had no idea it was in the Specialized lineup. I have an older S-Works Tarmac and it's a fun go-fast bike, much more capable than I am. :lol:

KWalker wrote:I have owned 3 or 4 CAAD10s, ridden a 12 and can say that the Allez Sprint outperforms both. I'd buy it over a Venge.

headwind816

by headwind816

I've owned two CAAD10 bikes - a 56cm and a 54cm - and enjoyed both but more the 54cm as I prefer the geometry better.

I trust KWalker's judgment regarding the Allez, and if I come across one on the cheap, I plan to grab it.

I had a friend who raced the heck out of a Jamis Icon and had lots of praise for it. He crashed in one crit, put a dent in the top tube from the handlebar, and got up to finish the race.

The best AL frame I ever owned was a Primus Mootry with geometry to match a Tarmac SL4 ... I regret selling that bike! It was fast and comfortable ... big mistake on my part to sell it but was about to change jobs and move (literally) half way across the US.

KWalker

by KWalker

I don't know where I wrote about it on here, but its damn stiff! Its for sure as stiff as my S-Works Tarmac, but also vertically so. I wouldn't want it as my only bike if I didn't race, but after thinking about it even if it was I would just ride some wide rims with 25s or 26s at a lower pressure and whatever model of my saddle had a flexier hull. That right there would take enough of the buzz off, but its really splitting hairs.

Overall it is a really, really good bike. I would ride it over a Venge 10 times out of 10 and it made me really re-think if the Tarmac was worth it financially speaking. I really enjoyed riding it although it's geo is a bit twitchier than normal and takes a bit of getting used to.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Multebear

by Multebear

If you want something special, you should consider the S-Works Allez over the Specialized Allez. Looks much better and is lighter as well.

I've ridden 6.500 km over the last year on my Caad 10. It's a very good frame, but for my 85 kg, it's harsh, which is why I'm upgrading to carbon. I have a carbon bike already, and the Caad is my winther bike/ foul weather summer bike. But riding 2 or 3 days in a row is hard for the back.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Multebear wrote:If you want something special, you should consider the S-Works Allez over the Specialized Allez. Looks much better and is lighter as well.

I've ridden 6.500 km over the last year on my Caad 10. It's a very good frame, but for my 85 kg, it's harsh, which is why I'm upgrading to carbon. I have a carbon bike already, and the Caad is my winther bike/ foul weather summer bike. But riding 2 or 3 days in a row is hard for the back.

Looks like S-Works Allez had been discontinued. Perhaps we will see S-Works Sprint in 2017 line-up.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm 77kg or so, harsh was my S2.

Harsh is not a CAAD10. Well it might be for you, but I don't know many who claim the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com