Best option for BB30 to GXP conversion (SS Evo frame)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

welkman

by welkman

Hi,

Just ordered a super six evo (2015) frameset and wanted to keep using my rotor power2max cranks which are GXP standard. In my old caad 10 I used the wheels manufacturing 'cups' which sit externally but they creaked a lot.

Has there been any advances in tech or am I better off selling the rotor cranks and using the force 22 cranks that will come with the groupset with the addition of a power2max spider?

Cheers

grover

by grover

Check your information. I'm not sure any Rotor cranks have ever used a GXP standard. GXP is SRAMs design that uses a step down to 22mm in the axle at the non-drive side bearing. I thought Rotor was more like Shimano/FSA in having a straight 24mm axle?

Either way - I've had good success with the Wheels Manufacturing 'delrin' universal adaptor if you want the cheap option or the Praxis Works bb30 adaptor bottom bracket if you want to spend more money on something nicer (for either shimano or gxp depending on which you actually need).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I'd go with Praxis, Wheels-Manufacturing, or Enduro. I would also avoid any kind of step-down adapters, and go with single-unit BBs instead.

gmakris

by gmakris

I used my existing 24mm caps and just added an additional spacer to 22mm on DS
no issues or creaks.
You will probably need to add also one wavy spacer for your chainline

havana

by havana

Praxisworks.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Rotor recommends this particular BB for BB30 GXP cranks. Does Praxisworks make a BB30 to GXP adaptor? I have the Praxisworks PF30 to GXP and I love it. Heavy at 156 grams but solid as a rock.

bikerector

by bikerector

VCRC Bike has several different direct adaptors so it's all one piece. I've been using them for several years on several bikes to share my stages PM on sram GXP cranks. Haven't had one fail yet including 3 years of use on my CX bike.

http://www.vcrcbike.com/Ceramic_Convers ... _s/117.htm

boysa

by boysa

Praxis does have a GXP conversion for BB30. I had one installed on my CAAD10 when I was using a Quarq Elsa. I switched over to a P2M, and now use their standard conversion BB (Shimano). Highly recommend.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

spookyload

by spookyload

As many people post praxis, there is an equal amount who post negatively about them. Kogel. Find me a thread that has anything negative about them. I am running two PF30 BB. One gxp, and one shimano. Both flawless.

Pottsy

by Pottsy

+1 Kogel

sk1324

by sk1324

For any PF30 conversion on any frame - KOGEL. Perfect and flawless as mentioned above.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I would also like to recommend VCRC. Best BBs I have ever used, and they\ve been in business for over 10 years. A lot of new companies pop up each year, which is fine, but vcrc offers support like I've never experienced from other companies. A lot of times the owner will send out free replacment parts to keep you going, when I thought I needed a full rebuild or new BB. I have also used Kogel, that are good, but they are still such a new company I want to wait it out. My shop likes VCRC, Ceramic Speed, Enduro and F1 Ceramic for performance, longevity, and ease of dealing with from a dealer/customer point of view.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Necro-bump... Anyone have any comments abou the Wheels Manufacturing delrin adapters? In my case it would be for GXP cranks on a Ridley Helium SLX with PF 30 bearings already pressed into the frame.

These are the ones I'm thinking of:

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-pf30-universal ... isiQfxn8mY

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Awful.

C-Bear PF30-GXP-R. Around £100 and no crappy spacers / adapters needed.

https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... 0-sram-gxp
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

ryanw wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:16 pm
Awful.

C-Bear PF30-GXP-R. Around £100 and no crappy spacers / adapters needed.

https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... 0-sram-gxp
Awful, as in they creak, are loose etc etc? Or awful as in there's more elegant solutions out there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com