DT Swiss ratchet system upgrade. Worth doing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I have a set of 350 straight pull hubs waiting to be built up and I came across the 36t star ratchet upgrade and then the Bontrager 54t one. Has anyone carried out this modification? Is it worth while?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I did this on a DT 190 hub. Think it was going to the 36 tooth ratchet, 54 wasn't around then. Did it on my girlfriends bike mostly looking for a different sound, the existing ratchet sounded more "tractor" like than a nice buzz. To our ears at least the noise was even more annoying on the 36t so went back to the tractor sound. As far as quicker engagement goes, meh... Didn't seem to be a big deal. So, to answer your question, for me at least... wasn't worth it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

hmai18

by hmai18

For road, no. I have the 54T ring on my 'cross wheels and it's great for off-roading when you need to manage your pedal position, but the wheels have noticeably more drag than the 18T ratchets on my road wheels.

Put a baseball card in your spokes instead if you want the angry buzz.

junchen

by junchen

Would suggest the 36T instead of 54T. More buzzing sound than the 18t , but less drag than the 54t. I recall that some bontrager wheels comes with 36t from factory.......

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

perwjensen

by perwjensen

The 54T is more for MTB, but when big power is exerted then 36T is max. If you're not a incredibly strong sprinter then 54T is OK. From there it's a matter of sound it seems.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks for the replies guys. I may opt for the 36t then. What did you all use in the way of grease? DT claim it's only advisable to use their own specific grease (but I suppose they would say that) other people who have done the upgrade say it's too thick, I've even heard of people using Finish Line chain lube!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If more ratchets equals faster shifting is correct?
I can tell you, riding road it does not matter "that much" compared to slower engagement.
Because it's fast enugh for most.
But if you ride trails or really evil gravel on low gears and you may rely on quick shifts in slow speed, it's great!
This you would notice if you rode a gravel/ cx bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spookyload

by spookyload

I run 54 tooth on my cross bike, and 18 on my MTB. The 54 tooth really doesn't like crud. If you don like to clean and re-grease star ratchets, then 54 isn't for you.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I don't mind carrying out some maintenance, plus I only ride my Supersix (the bike these wheels are going on) in fair weather anyway. Still think I will go for the 36t as availability and price are both more favourable than the 54t

otoman

by otoman

yeah, every day I ride my DT Swiss hubs with standard star ratchet, I think to myself, "GAH! I am so SLOW because of the fewer engagement points!!" :lol:

"Worth it" is such a subjective analysis but my question to you would be, what problem are you solving by "upgrading" the star ratchet system? :noidea:

The math on 36t to 54t works out to engaging 3.33 degrees sooner. Baby, baby not worth it...
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

spookyload

by spookyload

They do sound cool though. One guy I was riding with asked me if my rotor was rubbing when I coasted.

nickf

by nickf

I originally got the 54t for my road wheels but I couldn't stand the noise. On road they are useless, other then the noise I couldn't tell a difference between them and the original 18t. I moved the 54s to my mountain bike. Off-road the quick engagement is nice.

junchen

by junchen

My local wheel builder tells me the original dt grease is a bit draggy n recommends using krytox. That is not cheap though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Ratchet rings aren't an 'upgrade', as per the title thread ... they are just different.

I have never used grease on rear hub ratchets. I always remove the grease and use a heavy oil.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

If it was a mountainbike, i would do it. On a road bike i can not see the big advantage