Hollowgram on a Chris King PF30

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

58teeth

by 58teeth

Greetings-
I'm going to be switching from my current crank to a hollowgram SL. I'd like to continue using my existing Chris King PF30 BB, but, I'm wondering if that's possible given the various bearing shields/etc that go along with the hollowgram setup.

Is it possible?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Should not be an issue provided you are going to be using the 109mm road spindle. When PF30 was first introduced, I experienced spacing issues with a Ridley X-Night when installing a Hollowgram SRM with a SRAM PF30 bottom bracket, and the original 104mm spindle which were addressed by switching to the 109mm spindle.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

58teeth

by 58teeth

Ah ok, so you're saying as long as I use a 109mm newer road spindle, I won't need to use the bearing shields/etc?

Could you possibly post a photo of your drive side/nds setup? Thanks much!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You don't use the shields with the Chris King PF30 BB. Also, your 104mm spindle will work. There was a spacing issue with the SRM Hollowgram and what they did was modify the existing 104mm spindle by shaving a bit off the shoulder on the non drive side of the 104mm spindle to give it the added clearance. I used one of these spindles on a Cannondale Evo (non SRM crank) in hopes it would provide a better chainline for DA9000. It did a bit, but not enough for it to really work perfectly. The newer, shoulderless 109mm spindle addressed the issues but it is really hard to find separately.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

58teeth

by 58teeth

Thanks for the further info Calnago!

So, are there ANY spacers or wavy washers at all? Or is it just as simple as the arms & spindle?

ms6073

by ms6073

Calnago wrote:what they did was modify the existing 104 mm spindle by shaving a bit off the shoulder on the non drive side of the 104 mm spindle to give it the added clearance.

That is curious. My experience was that Cannondale produced an SRM specific, non-drive side bearing shield that had a machined recess, allowing for 2-3 mm more spindle insertion. Although I no longer own any PF-30 frames, at the time I was using the 104 mm spindle and was unable to get proper pre-load with the SRM specific bearing shield. When Cannondale introduced the 109 mm spindle, I followed in the foot steps of on another forums user, and had my spindle machined smooth. Later I was able to source the Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2 109 mm Road Spindle from the Cannondale Experts.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

logy

by logy

Ive just installed new Si chainset and 109mm spindle into an Evo aftera shop bodged the install. I note the spindle was very lookse in the King BB and used 2 spacers to load the wavewasher. I can't detect any play but was very surprised at how easy the spindle slides thorugh the cups. Is this normal guys?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, if you've got the Chris King PF30 aligned the spindle goes in without any fuss. No freezing. No pounding. I presume you have the spindle sleeves in the bearings in place.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

logy

by logy

Yes. Still quite loose though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

There's no play though, right? When you say "loose", I'm presuming you mean it just slides in without the use of force. I'm sure you've heard stories of people freezing the spindles, then still having to use a bit of force to get them through the bearings. I've not had a single issue with the PF30 Chris King BB that I installed on a problematic Cannondale EVO two seasons ago.

logy

by logy

Have now installed an extra shim to make it 2 in total. No play when nipped up to 40Nm. When the nuts are not torqued there is plenty of lateral play.

logy

by logy

Btw have you rated your Evo against a C60?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don't have an EVO, but racing buddies have had several and all have needed BB work to sort out the creaking. Cannondales geometry doesn't suit me very well. Kind of in between sizes.

allenpg

by allenpg

I just regreased the bearings on my Evo last night, which has a Chris King PF30 BB and Hollowgram SiSL2 crank. The posts above are correct...there are no bearing shields. For spacers, I have the Cannondale spacer (2.5 mm) on the DS and the wider Cannondale BB30 spacer w/wave washer on the NDS. I didn't need to use any shims. I torqued everything to 40 nM. Fits perfectly. Hope that helps!

http://www.cannondale.com/~/media/Files ... _1012.ashx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com