Factor ONE first ride impressions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Would be worth finding out what the handlebar geometry is. It's quite possible that the bar reach could be as much as a centimetre different to what you normally ride, and then you'd need a different stem length than you'd initially expect.

As you rightly said, definitely need to look into all geometry factors before going ahead with a fully integrated bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

wingguy wrote:Would be worth finding out what the handlebar geometry is.

Excellent idea! I didnt realise but they have something on their website now. Now to work out my Bianchi's stem reach + stack :p

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1172/7808/files/Factor_ONE_Barstem_Fitting_Guide_May06_2016.pdf?7205149933843900084
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

wingguy

by wingguy

It would also be very useful if they told you what the handlebar bend geometry is. Like this, for example. That reach measurement to the shifter clamp can vary quite significantly.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

zappafile123 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:Hey Zappa, if you take time to think it over,... are you swayed by the looks to a point it affects your senses?
Or does it make you achieve (or feel) something that makes a change worth the plunge :wink:

I must admit (yes, it's off topic), that gravel riding made me sense i felt tarmac (only) was boring once i went back to it!

Yeah I think it looks fantastic in stealth... not as flash in white and blue however. My problem is that I am pretty desensitized to bikes now - its hard for something to get me excited haha

One day, when I stop spending so much money on the next best road bike, I will buy a cross bike or something and go find gravel climbs.

I know what you say!
It's a disorder, all bikes and bike related. I think we should file for a yearly goverment grant to keep us in leash.
I mean, when it's not possible to update i feel i could go berzerk :wink:

Jokes aside! Yes Zappa, i must really push that, buying a cross-over bike as i tend to call them.
At this time, i feel riding tarmac hours and hours is not easy after this experience.

It simply is addictive to jump from road to gravel, from gravel to trail.
It's a much more active riding. More nature, more fun.

It has kind of made my ww:ism worn off.
You want a bike that stand hard core, no bike that crack or brake for some wild riding.
With good wheels and good tires, you can hit surprisingly well speeds anyway on a gravel machine.

But there is alot more that comes into play.

For instance you need to find tires which are fast at tarmac aswell as supple and grippy for gravel.
You want tires inspire confidence bombing down a trail.

Looking at the saddles also raise questions since you ride pretty close to a road bike, but at some occasions your ride more on the rear and next you can hang on the nose, deep in the drop to bomb the tarmac for speed.

Alot more muscle work, alot more senses awaken.
Riding tarmac is like a sleepwalk in straight up comparison.

I wish i had buddies ready for this as it seems you are. Overhere the guys seems stuck in their road bikes.

I find European dealers slow understanding one thing.
When off season comes people retire to trainers or slacking at the sofa.
It must be better to ride even winter riding for 1 hour on a gravel with studded, than dying of boredom sitting at a trainer.
A gravel ride like UP, allows you to use 650B wheels and 55mm studded tires.
This is something i would push as an alternative to ALL road bikers.
Just because it offers longer season and more training. Also a different/ new view.

For me, this has opened a larger window to cycling.
I can broaden my field of cycling, i can broaden my season to almost 12 months (the hideously cold season might be questionable overhere..)

You will be a much better biker talking handling. You will be stronger as you wouldn't want a weak bike or tires that can't handle the terrains.
So, you will work those legs.

The senses when you hit nature and leave cars and noises behind is making you appreciate life and nature in a new way.

All in all, Zappa, skip that Factor bike and set your eyes on a gravel machine.
I doubt you will regret it!

If you get one, come back to me and tell me how you lauged like a kid again when you hit those roads and trails.
I know you will :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@ zappafile123

The O2 was noticibly 'harsher' than the One, but at the same time more responsive. The lighter weight was also more noticeable. Whilst I did t weigh the O2, Baden said it was 6.4kg for the 56cm frame and the 30mm rims (from memory). I loved the directness of it and I preferred the look of it over the One to be honest.

Here is my review
https://www.bicycles.net.au/2016/01/fac ... den-cooke/

zappafile123

by zappafile123

MichaelB wrote:@ zappafile123

The O2 was noticibly 'harsher' than the One, but at the same time more responsive. The lighter weight was also more noticeable. Whilst I did t weigh the O2, Baden said it was 6.4kg for the 56cm frame and the 30mm rims (from memory). I loved the directness of it and I preferred the look of it over the One to be honest.

Here is my review
https://www.bicycles.net.au/2016/01/fac ... den-cooke/

Oh nice, thanks for that! Did you do any climbing on the One? I'm glad it wasnt just me - the One is comfy!

It almost sounds like the One is more of an all-rounder and the O2 is an oldschool climbers bike. In theory I think I'd like the ride of the O2 more, but I cant get over the aesthetics of the One. Not sure if I'll get to try an O2
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

MichaelB

by MichaelB

No, no climbing on the One, just a flat ride and chat with Baden.

Was really interesting chatting with him about the business, the bike and life in general. He is still fit as.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Alright, I'm gonna buy a One, now the question is, should I get the One or the One-S?

One Pros
- Looks cooler
- might have a stiffer front end/cockpit
- more aero (but who cares, I'd bet you $1000 I wouldnt notice a real world difference)

One-S pros
- higher chance of resale (because of adjustability - most folks wont like a 130 mm X 40 mm setup)
- $600 cheaper
- more adjustability (not only in stack and reach, but bar shape and lever position)
- very likely to be lighter - integrated cockpits are generally a good 100g heavier than standard setups

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Everyone's opinion will be different but I would go for the ONE. If you're going to ride a Factor you might as well go all out, especially considering this is an evolution/inspiration/production version of the Factor 001 which was developed with the bayonet fork and integrated cockpit.

It sounds silly but the ONE-S seems like a poorer choice to me, which of course it isn't by any stretch of the imagination, but I would always be questioning why you didn't get the ONE.

*Provided you can achieve you're desired fit on the ONE, which it seems you could*

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Steele von Hoff just won the 1st stage of the Tour of Norway on his O2 Factor bike.

When I spoke to him in Adealide at the factor launch, he preferred the O2 primarily due to the lower weight, especially when there are hills around.

Great to see Steele back on the winning track after a few rough years.

Bely

by Bely

Quick question does anyone know if the factor one uses direct mount brakes? Thinking of a getting a set of Ee for them... From what I see it's only the rear? Correct me if I am wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Bely wrote:Quick question does anyone know if the factor one uses direct mount brakes? Thinking of a getting a set of Ee for them... From what I see it's only the rear? Correct me if I am wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both are direct mount

sychen

by sychen

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

anyone have new ride updates on the ONE?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com