Giant Defy Advanced disc, Sram or Shimano hydro brakes ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorapido

by motorapido

Have managed to get a 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 3 disc with 30% off, with the plan to strip it down and use the frame-set and seat-post only.

But i can't decide whether to run it with Sram HydroR disc brakes with my lever mod, to make it Di2, or go with straight Shimano R785 Di2 hydro brakes, I have managed to get hold of both sets of brakes, at really low prices so cost doesn't come into it. the Sram brakes are Rival, and the Shimano set is r785 levers with XT callipers. I can sell the other set on which should cover the costs.

Any pros or cons of the brakes, i'm kinda leaning towards the Sram stuff as it looks a bit neater styling wise and the all black of the callipers will match the frame better, the XT callipers are silver and i already had them,

The rest of the build plan is to be Ultegra Di2 6780 mechs, FSA SLK chainset, ceramic bottom bracket, Syntace stem with PRO bars, Chinese carbon saddle, wheels are Vision Metron 40 hubs with Stans Alpha 400 disc rims. tyres to start with will be what i have around me which is Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or Conti all season. Its all being built on a tight budget so i'm using bits i can get cheap or already have.
I've already got a mate lined up for the Giant wheels for his commuter.

Any comments or thoughts on the rest of the build would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quadlt250

by quadlt250

Go with the Shimano

shotgun

by shotgun

I don't have experience with the SRAM Road Hydro, but I've the Shimano ones on my Defy Advanced Pro. No Complaints here. I've replaced the rotors to thinner, lighter ones (obviously) and no issues.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

stormur

by stormur

Sram (force) hydro levers have weird cable routing in shifters ( at exit )- housing bends heavily right at 1st 4-5cm to fit bar ( seems to be designed for max 40mm reach handlebar ) what cause issue shifting on any RD with exception of CX 1 ( strong enough spring to pull bent cable anyway ).
IMHO choice is rather obvious; Shimano. Your life will be much easier.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

flashpunk

by flashpunk

motorapido wrote:Have managed to get a 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 3 disc with 30% off, with the plan to strip it down and use the frame-set and seat-post only.

But i can't decide whether to run it with Sram HydroR disc brakes with my lever mod, to make it Di2, or go with straight Shimano R785 Di2 hydro brakes, I have managed to get hold of both sets of brakes, at really low prices so cost doesn't come into it. the Sram brakes are Rival, and the Shimano set is r785 levers with XT callipers. I can sell the other set on which should cover the costs.

Any pros or cons of the brakes, i'm kinda leaning towards the Sram stuff as it looks a bit neater styling wise and the all black of the callipers will match the frame better, the XT callipers are silver and i already had them,

The rest of the build plan is to be Ultegra Di2 6780 mechs, FSA SLK chainset, ceramic bottom bracket, Syntace stem with PRO bars, Chinese carbon saddle, wheels are Vision Metron 40 hubs with Stans Alpha 400 disc rims. tyres to start with will be what i have around me which is Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or Conti all season. Its all being built on a tight budget so i'm using bits i can get cheap or already have.
I've already got a mate lined up for the Giant wheels for his commuter.

Any comments or thoughts on the rest of the build would be appreciated.

I'm doing a similar thing with a Defy Advanced 2 that I picked up last week http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=139093

My plan is to make upgrades around the drive train and when SRAM releases a Hydro Etap, to jump on that. Screw cables!

motorapido

by motorapido

My setup will not be using mechanical cables, Even if i go Sram, as i have a way of modifying the Di2 brake lever blade to fit into and operate the Sram master cylinder in the lever assembly. I have already done the mod to a couple of brake sets for the HydroR rim version. Will maybe have to fit both lever assemblies to a set of bars and see which i prefer for comfort and aesthetics, modulation and power can be tweeked a bit with pad or disc choice.

her is the thread on my lever mod.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138008

motorapido

by motorapido

Bikes nearly finished as i went with the Sram brakes and Di2 lever mod in the end, just waiting on some new bars and some switches to do a custom climbing and sprint shifter setup for the rear mech, all driven from 1 Di2 climbing shifter brain. hoping it will work out with a trial build of the switch setup tomorrow as its a cheap way of getting sprint shifters on 6770 levers as they are only 2 port.

motorapido

by motorapido

A couple of quick pics, waiting for a San Marco Aspide saddle and I need to weigh it and cut the steerer but happy with it so far.
full build list and details to follow.
ImageImageImage

motorapido

by motorapido

build list below,
Frame / forks Giant Defy Advanced CF size Small,
Headset FSA
Seat post Giant D-fuse
Saddle Selle Italia Ti to be replaced with a San Marco Aspide CF
Stem Syntace F149, drilled and grooved for Di2 junction ‘A’ and wires
Bars Ratio Ineo
Tape Sram cork
Cranks FSA SLK
Chainrings Stronglight CT2, 33 tooth & 52 tooth
Pedals Time I-clic
Front Mech Ultegra 6870 Di2
Rear Mech Ultegra 6870 Di2
Shifters Ultegra 6770 lever blades modded to fit Sram S700 Hydro brakes
Remote Shifters SW-R600 electronics wired to switches on both drops and bar tops, rear mech shift only RH up LH down.
Junction ‘A’ inside stem, custom internal battery in seat-post, electronics from external battery mount in downtube,
Brakes Sram Hydro S700 disc brakes
Rotors Ashima Ai2 160 front, 140 rear
Wheel Fr Vision Metron 40 24 hole hub,
Stans Alpha 340 disc rim de-badged
DT swiss revolution spokes
Araya alloy spoke nipples 2X
Specialized DT swiss RWS skewer
Wheel Rr Vision Metron 40 28 hole hub,
Stans Alpha 400 disc rim de-badged
DT swiss revolution spokes
Araya alloy nipples non drive 2X, Brass nipples drive side 3X
Specialized DT swiss RWS skewer