Cervelo R5 Video Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cyclelogue

by Cyclelogue

L3X wrote:Nice review, pretty honest as well! Obviously some of the comments, for instance the harshness on some road surfaces, might be due to the wheelset/tires as well - bit hard to account it to the frame 100% or did you have the same with the original wheels? Paint was an interesting point, if sitting on you toptube actually caused the damage I'd never consider buying a Cervelo as that is just insane imo.

Keep up the video's though, liked your video on the trip to Austin as well! :) For future videos I agree with zappafile123 as well, try to stay away from the 'light, stiff' comments or any other comment that can be applied to any proper modern bike. I value the real life stories a lot more as well.

You're right, every component change can make the ride quality of the bike a bit different. In the end, I suppose it's all down to the road surface, as nothing can truly mitigate a terrible road (of which we have plenty in Houston).

However, to your question, the bike felt fairly similar with the original wheels. The Enve are stiff as hell, but the only noticeable quality I felt change is that they are much snappier and just want to keep rolling. Admittedly, I'm not an expert on the subject, and am for sure not a writer, so I probably have trouble putting to video what's in my head.

But, I do have the energy to keep making videos to do my best to help people understand what it's like to buy this stuff. It's all so expensive and honestly everything I've dropped $$'s on I really went into it fairly blind (my wife loves that)! This is my first crack at a review video, and the comments and criticism from you guys is helping a ton. Thanks for taking the time, and I'll for sure post the next review video here and try to make it a bit more thorough.

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MRM

by MRM

You're doing a great job! Keep it up. It's invaluable to get an owners perspective. You will get more comfortable with it and better in time as well. I really look forward to it!

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Cyclelogue wrote:But, I do have the energy to keep making videos

I forgot to say: Thanks! Keep it up, its always super valuable to have good insider information. As you say, you have to trawl through forums like these to find snippets of gold. I should pull my finger out and do what you do more, albeit in a written format.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your next review.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

kgt

by kgt

Thank you! It's a nice and honest review.
OTOH is not that different from good reviews by shops and magazines.

What I miss is a comparison to other frames you have ridden or 'know' really well. Is it stiffer than A? Worst handling than B? More comfortable than C? More nervous than D? etc. etc.
When I talk for different frames with my friends we try to compare the bikes we have or had in order to set a common reference. So i.e. my Bond is much stiffer than my Cento Uno, less nervous and less comfortable. Or my friend's Colnago C59 is less stiff than his Bond but more comfortable and as balanced-stable. I think such a comparison would help.

Having said that, we definitely need more reviews like yours. Thanks again!

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I've had Cervelos for most of the last 6 years. I had an R5 for almost all of last season, and am now on the S5. I put about 20,000km on the bikes each year.

I don't quite agree with you on the paint. I've never scratched my paint due to shorts rubbing against the frame. However, the 2014 R5 and 2013 S5 top tube did turn from matte to gloss. I've also never had chips quite like those on your downtube and I'm rough on my bikes and ride gravel roads quite often. I think it is also a weak argument to blame the manufacturer on paint when you dropped your chain, it will scratch any bike - buy a chaincatacher. Hell, I had a 2011 Madone 6.2 that lost most of the paint on the chainstay when I snapped the chain. A white Pinarello (Prince or Paris I can never remember) turned urine-yellow from being in the sun on me - that is shit manufacturer paint job.

I've had rotor 3d+ cranks with Rotor rings w/ the stock BB and haven't really had any issues. The rings certainly are not as stiff as DA, but they aren't that bad. I've never had an issue with the BB (although I know lots that have) or crank making any noise. From what I've talked to Cervelo about, the BB thing is often poor bearing seating or moisture getting into the bearings. Pretty much any press fit BB will have similar issues.

That said, I think you were spot on in terms of it being a stiff bike - not a comfort/endurance/plush one. When I first switched to the 2014 R5 from the 2012 S3 my quads actually hurt after each ride because the BB was so stiff, and I was used to a little movement. Many consumers seem to believe that the R series is like the roubaix and is going to be extremely plush and comfy. But in reality it is a race bike first and foremost.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Cervelo's philosophy hasn't changed "ultra-thin seat stays developed to increase vertical compliance and vibration absorption". Source: https://www.cervelo.com/en-us/road/r-series
After all, "R" series is far from complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Cyclelogue

by Cyclelogue

kgt wrote:Thank you! It's a nice and honest review.
OTOH is not that different from good reviews by shops and magazines.

What I miss is a comparison to other frames you have ridden or 'know' really well. Is it stiffer than A? Worst handling than B? More comfortable than C? More nervous than D? etc. etc.
When I talk for different frames with my friends we try to compare the bikes we have or had in order to set a common reference. So i.e. my Bond is much stiffer than my Cento Uno, less nervous and less comfortable. Or my friend's Colnago C59 is less stiff than his Bond but more comfortable and as balanced-stable. I think such a comparison would help.

Having said that, we definitely need more reviews like yours. Thanks again!

Good feedback, thanks for that. Yes, I plan on getting some bikes to test and review for a month or so, and even having friends on the channel to review their bikes to have more variety.

Cheers!

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

Ghost234 wrote:I don't quite agree with you on the paint. I've never scratched my paint due to shorts rubbing against the frame. However, the 2014 R5 and 2013 S5 top tube did turn from matte to gloss. I've also never had chips quite like those on your downtube and I'm rough on my bikes and ride gravel roads quite often. I think it is also a weak argument to blame the manufacturer on paint when you dropped your chain, it will scratch any bike - buy a chaincatacher.

When I got my R3 it had a chip in the paint from the factory. The carbon layup around the rear brake bridge was also wavy and pretty disappointing. So these are all just datapoints. If yours didn't have such issues, that is great. What matters is the variability.
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

zappafile123

by zappafile123

The force is strong with Fluoro. Kudos
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Stueys

by Stueys

I've had my R5 for just over a year now and do find the front end marginally light, only really noticeable in a cross wind when it seems to grab the front more than I'm used to. Anyone tried dialling that out with a longer stem?

CMcGrew

by CMcGrew

Stueys wrote:I've had my R5 for just over a year now and do find the front end marginally light, only really noticeable in a cross wind when it seems to grab the front more than I'm used to. Anyone tried dialling that out with a longer stem?

I'm running a 12 cm stem, fairly long, and still get whipped around decently.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

12 cm stem on my 56 rca. Very stable in wind even with my zipp 303's. Sometimes it's also your fit and thus weight distribution in bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

Does the R5ca have a significantly different ride characteristic over the R5? I find my R5ca as comfortable if not more so than my Litespeeds. I don't find it twitchy at all either (maybe a result of it being a 51). Totally fine in a super tuck doing 90+kph.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stueys

by Stueys

Thanks guys, guess I'll give a slightly longer stem a go and see how it goes. I've had two bike fits over the last 3 years and my position is almost identical from both, I'll also ask the fitter whether he can get more weight forward.

lee16

by lee16

RyanH wrote:Does the R5ca have a significantly different ride characteristic over the R5? I find my R5ca as comfortable if not more so than my Litespeeds. I don't find it twitchy at all either (maybe a result of it being a 51). Totally fine in a super tuck doing 90+kph.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I read the R5CA is lighter and stiffer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com