favorite grease to use?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i've been using Phil Wood Waterproof Grease for many years on my crankset. looking to find something lighter to use that won't provide so much friction.

current BB is SRAM, but that will soon be changed to Hawk Racking bb86 soon. so wanted to use some thing light for grease.

what's your favorite?

kode54

by kode54

i've been using the Campy white grease. one of my favorites. used to use Phil Wood waterproof grease but was a little heavier. also use Baller's Nixfrixtion grease on other stuff like headsets.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

kode54: yea, i do notice the Phil's is a bit too thick! great for headset, but would like to have my crank spin more freely.. ;)

will check out the campy white grease.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Extralite Alugrease is worth a look too.

kdawg

by kdawg

I like the green Shimano stuff. Used to be branded Dura-Ace but I think it's just Shimano Premium grease now. Just the right consistency and it even smells nice.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

kdawg wrote:I like the green Shimano stuff. Used to be branded Dura-Ace but I think it's just Shimano Premium grease now. Just the right consistency and it even smells nice.

I just got some of this stuff but I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone know how to use this stuff in a grease injector? I'd like to lube my Speedplay pedals with this grease.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Anti-sieze lube:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-An ... B000FW7VGE
Can also be picked up from any auto-parts store, enough for more builds than you wallet can manage.
Use any anti-seize lube when 'exotic' metals are interfacing (Titanium, Aluminum, etc:.). The lube does not necessarily have to be metal-specific.

For carbon-to-carbon situations, Friction/Carbon lube.

Generally speaking, no need to buy the 'bike brand' stuff - it'll be an overpriced variation of what is available for far, far less at an auto parts store.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I believe anti-seize lube contains metal particles (zinc or copper). Can you really use this stuff in place of regular grease?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I would just use anti seize on titanium. Anything else is regular grease. I use finish line Teflon. Antiseize is tough stuff to clean off once you get it on hands or parts. And it's just not necessary for regular use. And it's definitely not good for bearings.

addictR1

by addictR1

well.. my buddy uses this for his CZ...
http://amzn.to/1UQUZY4

makes the slide super slick and easy. maybe i'll try some on my crank and see.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

goodboyr wrote:I would just use anti seize on titanium. Anything else is regular grease. I use finish line Teflon. Antiseize is tough stuff to clean off once you get it on hands or parts. And it's just not necessary for regular use. And it's definitely not good for bearings.

Bearing lube is different altogether! There are specific oils for bearings.

In terms of getting it off: easy wipe off... like this. http://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-10863-C ... 1462921343 or any equivalent.

Again the auto-industry is an easy go-to for things without the inflated cost of a bike brand.

And although it isn't necessary for basics, there's no harm in using it for basic situations either.

addictR1

by addictR1

prendrefeu: what oil to use for bearing inside the BB?

and Permatex 80078 Anti-Seize is good for crank & BB use?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

BB - personally I haven't had to re-grease bearings in a long, long time and that was with an old ISIS BB (just realized how that acronym has changed meaning over the past years)... The seals usually do the work just fine. Don't use anti-sieze grease here, but generally speaking a marine-grade bearing grease will work. The point is to have a thin film surrounding the bearings and keep dirt/water out (which is the point of the seals).
Mobil-1 grease works well, and again is affordable.
Ceramic bearings may have their own recommendations, I don't know... haven't had to touch bearings lube in a long while.

Oswald

by Oswald

This is what I use on my bike:

Big bucket of cheap automotive grease that I bought 10 years ago. I think I've used almost 30% of it by now :mrgreen:
Pedro's dry lube for the chain
Tacx carbon paste
Diesel fuel as degreaser
Car shampoo / wax
Cheap brushes and sponges
Kärcher :D

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Comma High Performance Bearing Grease
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com