Skewer opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Received my Tune DC14's yesterday. Absolutely stunning. So happy and came in at the listed 33g.

Pics on the bike soon once Di2 is up and running.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

burglarboycie wrote:@mpulsiv - thanks for the link, I actually hadn't seen it.
KCNC seem to have a decent following, and are very reasonably priced for their weight. I think I may pick up a titanium set.

Some reported clamp issue, light tension and lack of rotation with KCNC skewers. Read my last post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138361 as how to properly tighten them.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

userfriendly wrote:Another vote for the Tune internal cam skewers. Got two sets of them. 50g the pair, sturdy and good looking, and none of that exposed cam rubbish.

Yeah I failed to note that I use the internal cam version too. Tune AC14. Amazing stuff.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

I'm a big fan of the Tune DC-14 skewers. Light, strong, reliable. Look good too. The only downside is they don't use a spring so they take a bit more to line up.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Just discovered the Lightweight SSP2, they look very pretty indeed!! Good price considering the brand too!! Although they do look like a lot of the other generic/unbranded skewers of this type so not sure how effective they would be.

VTBike

by VTBike

I've used multiple sets of Tune DC-14, and while I love their looks and weight, they creak on my bike like crazy. I'm 195 lbs, so maybe that has something to do with it.. not sure. And I have always had to tighten the rear skewers after every ride. I bought a set for my GF at some point, who is only 135 lbs, and they also creaked like mad on her Time frame. No amount of grease or tightening down every fixed it. I've also had the same issue with Enve skewers, which other people have reported.

Finally switched them out for the Alien 4's, and couldn't be happier. No creaking. Beautiful. Light.

velomane

by velomane

Thx for the report, VTBike, really useful. Where did you get the Alien 4's?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Do it.......

SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Bely

by Bely

How about Paul Components skewers? Does anyone have any experience with those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

burglarboycie wrote:Just discovered the Lightweight SSP2, they look very pretty indeed!! Good price considering the brand too!! Although they do look like a lot of the other generic/unbranded skewers of this type so not sure how effective they would be.

I have a set of those too and they are great. They feel burlier and more robust than the Tune DC-14. Also appreciate the springs making it easier to install wheels quickly. They weight a few grams more but a great skewer.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I use Zipp no problems.
I was surprised how small and short the levers are compared to Shimano but they work well.

VTBike

by VTBike

velomane wrote:Thx for the report, VTBike, really useful. Where did you get the Alien 4's?

Fairwheel bikes! fairwheelbikes.com.

VTBike

by VTBike

It's also worth reading the "High-End Skewer Review" that Fairwheel bike did a while ago.
http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... er-review/

Great info..