New Bike time - $4,000 AUD - Giant Canyon or ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Hi guys

I am in Melbourne Australia and my CAAD10 got stolen. I want to replace it with something good :P

I am skeptical of the 'aero' road bike trend - the watt savings are small and at very high speeds ...

I am really keen on getting a Giant or a Canyon - because these have good reviews and are well priced (read cheap)

Would like to go Ultegra mech due to $ per gram (dura ace is twice the price and is only a bit heavier) and instead have nicer wheels...

Also 2015 models would be better (unless there is a good reason to avoid them)

Any thoughts ?

Arish

Ps if anyone is coming to Melb from overseas I'd love to take them out

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If you're worried about $ per gram look at SRAM, Shimano stuff is surprisingly heavy. Having said that the TCR Advanced Pro/SL bikes are at or below 7kg even with Ultegra. I'm sure you won't have a hard time getting a light TCR...

Also, if I'm reading the charts correctly, the Canyon Ultimate SL geometry is a touch different to the TCR so I'd pick the one that fits you better. The Giant TCR geometry has slightly shorter stack for a comparable reach. TCR would be great for a more aggressive position, but if you need to run spacers the Ultimate would require fewer spacers to get the same stack.

Since you're in Melbourne, I'd check out the SwiftCarbon concept store. I've always wanted to head down there to check it out but never got a chance.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

First, definitely go for a 2016 Giant if you're thinking of one.

Second, the Giant is more likely to be a climbing oriented, ultra stiff racing bike (the SL in particular). The Canyon is more likely to be an all-rounder with better comfort and a more relaxed geometry. Though wont it be above your price range at ~$4800? Will you have to pay GST for importing it?

Never go for second best! There is a small (169-176cm?) TCR SL frameset with a cockpit on bicycle market (facebook) for $1800. You could build that with ultegra and a decent wheelset for $4000.

I go for the ride quality of the Giant, but the Canyon brand!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

junchen

by junchen

I would think canyon resale is better, simply by virtue of its limited availability. Also if u check out the whole bike prices, they r basically selling the frames for like 2k ish aud. That's freaking amazing value for money. Ditto the giant frames, but having owned an aeroad (2015), I'm always going to be a bit biased.

If budget is a concern, get the whole bike in mechanical frameset, part out the groupset n wheels and build it with sram or whichever Groupset n wheels u like. I like the campagnolo record with shamal wheels for the ultimate cf Slx, but it's out of ur 4k aud range.
Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

superdx

by superdx

Man how did your bike get stolen? Do you leave it outside or something?

Magpie

by Magpie

I'm sure you could buy a new TCR SL with mech ultegra for under 4k

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Consider the Fuji SL. Lots of build options and great $/gram.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Cheers guys for the responses , swift look good but they are too bloody expensive ... I could consider SRAM . Does everyone share my view on aero ? I left my bike locked on a Thule bike rack , on top of car in North Melb ....

Um , yeah , anything I've missed ?

jeffy

by jeffy

you know that it is quite possible that the TCR fits you and the Aeroad doesn't?

The TCR is *quite* an aggressive bike, and the new one is fairly significantly more aggressive that the previous version.

The Aeroad is VERY long and low even in comparison to race geo TCR/CAAD10.

For reference, I could fit an old TCR, and a CAAD 10 (just), the new CAAD geo works better for me, the new TCR would be a stretch that would be far from ideal - but perhaps manageable - but no way could an Aeroad work for me.

Without doubt, the best bang for buck in your budget is the TCR Adv Pro 1 ....

...but i bet you could get 10% off a TCR SL 2 if you layed out $4000.

Canyon is desireable, but a huge hassle just to get, and if you have warranty issues ..... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

From the quick look on bikeexchange there are a couple of options around Melbourne - have you had a look at the Avanti Corsa (both the SL and DR) https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102724438 or https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102659713

something like this gives you plenty of money to upgrade the wheels.

Alternatively, if you like Scott's a 2015 Foil 10 can be had for around 3 grand https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102826652

peted76

by peted76

ajmit3 wrote:I am skeptical of the 'aero' road bike trend - the watt savings are small and at very high speeds ...
I am really keen on getting a Giant or a Canyon - because these have good reviews and are well priced (read cheap)

I'm not sceptical of aero it's just that I'd rather get a lighter stiffer bike and work on my form before going down the aero bike route.... I've about 10kg's to lose and a skinsuit to buy before I consider that I need an aero frame..

I do think the whole aero 'frame' thing is a little bit over'egged... the frame being the most expensive part, is one of the least 'un-aero' thing on the bike... front wheel, bars, helmet all cause more drag..

choiboi

by choiboi

Caad12 [OK HAND SIGN] I upgraded from my caad10 and still impressed everytime I ride it [GROWING HEART]
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

istigatrice

by istigatrice

ajmit3 wrote:Does everyone share my view on aero ?

No, if you want to go faster, aero is everything (provided your training and everything have been optimal given your circumstances). Having said that modern frames usually have some aero design features so they won't be too much slower.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Bely

by Bely

I would get the giant tcr advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Ive got an offer for a new caad12 with discs ultegra for $3,500 ... Tempted

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components