Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:49 pm 

Hi guys

I am in Melbourne Australia and my CAAD10 got stolen. I want to replace it with something good :P

I am skeptical of the 'aero' road bike trend - the watt savings are small and at very high speeds ...

I am really keen on getting a Giant or a Canyon - because these have good reviews and are well priced (read cheap)

Would like to go Ultegra mech due to $ per gram (dura ace is twice the price and is only a bit heavier) and instead have nicer wheels...

Also 2015 models would be better (unless there is a good reason to avoid them)

Any thoughts ?

Arish

Ps if anyone is coming to Melb from overseas I'd love to take them out

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:49 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:10 pm 

If you're worried about $ per gram look at SRAM, Shimano stuff is surprisingly heavy. Having said that the TCR Advanced Pro/SL bikes are at or below 7kg even with Ultegra. I'm sure you won't have a hard time getting a light TCR...

Also, if I'm reading the charts correctly, the Canyon Ultimate SL geometry is a touch different to the TCR so I'd pick the one that fits you better. The Giant TCR geometry has slightly shorter stack for a comparable reach. TCR would be great for a more aggressive position, but if you need to run spacers the Ultimate would require fewer spacers to get the same stack.

Since you're in Melbourne, I'd check out the SwiftCarbon concept store. I've always wanted to head down there to check it out but never got a chance.

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:49 pm 

First, definitely go for a 2016 Giant if you're thinking of one.

Second, the Giant is more likely to be a climbing oriented, ultra stiff racing bike (the SL in particular). The Canyon is more likely to be an all-rounder with better comfort and a more relaxed geometry. Though wont it be above your price range at ~$4800? Will you have to pay GST for importing it?

Never go for second best! There is a small (169-176cm?) TCR SL frameset with a cockpit on bicycle market (facebook) for $1800. You could build that with ultegra and a decent wheelset for $4000.

I go for the ride quality of the Giant, but the Canyon brand!

Bianchi Oltre XR4 |BMC SLR01 16' |Cannondale SS Evo HM 12'| Focus Izalco Max | Ridley Helium SL 15' | Basso Diamante 15' | Bianchi Oltre XR2 | Scapin Dyseys S8 | Time ZXRS | Giant TCR SL 12' | Ridley Noah 08' | Look 585 | Cervelo Soloist SLC

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:34 pm 

I would think canyon resale is better, simply by virtue of its limited availability. Also if u check out the whole bike prices, they r basically selling the frames for like 2k ish aud. That's freaking amazing value for money. Ditto the giant frames, but having owned an aeroad (2015), I'm always going to be a bit biased.

If budget is a concern, get the whole bike in mechanical frameset, part out the groupset n wheels and build it with sram or whichever Groupset n wheels u like. I like the campagnolo record with shamal wheels for the ultimate cf Slx, but it's out of ur 4k aud range.
Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:41 pm 

Man how did your bike get stolen? Do you leave it outside or something?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:42 pm 

I'm sure you could buy a new TCR SL with mech ultegra for under 4k

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:19 pm 

Consider the Fuji SL. Lots of build options and great $/gram.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:04 am 

Cheers guys for the responses , swift look good but they are too bloody expensive ... I could consider SRAM . Does everyone share my view on aero ? I left my bike locked on a Thule bike rack , on top of car in North Melb ....

Um , yeah , anything I've missed ?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:38 am 

you know that it is quite possible that the TCR fits you and the Aeroad doesn't?

The TCR is *quite* an aggressive bike, and the new one is fairly significantly more aggressive that the previous version.

The Aeroad is VERY long and low even in comparison to race geo TCR/CAAD10.

For reference, I could fit an old TCR, and a CAAD 10 (just), the new CAAD geo works better for me, the new TCR would be a stretch that would be far from ideal - but perhaps manageable - but no way could an Aeroad work for me.

Without doubt, the best bang for buck in your budget is the TCR Adv Pro 1 ....

...but i bet you could get 10% off a TCR SL 2 if you layed out $4000.

Canyon is desireable, but a huge hassle just to get, and if you have warranty issues ..... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:21 am 

From the quick look on bikeexchange there are a couple of options around Melbourne - have you had a look at the Avanti Corsa (both the SL and DR) https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102724438 or https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102659713

something like this gives you plenty of money to upgrade the wheels.

Alternatively, if you like Scott's a 2015 Foil 10 can be had for around 3 grand https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102826652

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:48 am 

ajmit3 wrote:
I am skeptical of the 'aero' road bike trend - the watt savings are small and at very high speeds ...
I am really keen on getting a Giant or a Canyon - because these have good reviews and are well priced (read cheap)

I'm not sceptical of aero it's just that I'd rather get a lighter stiffer bike and work on my form before going down the aero bike route.... I've about 10kg's to lose and a skinsuit to buy before I consider that I need an aero frame..

I do think the whole aero 'frame' thing is a little bit over'egged... the frame being the most expensive part, is one of the least 'un-aero' thing on the bike... front wheel, bars, helmet all cause more drag..

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:11 am 

Caad12 [OK HAND SIGN] I upgraded from my caad10 and still impressed everytime I ride it [GROWING HEART]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:49 pm 

ajmit3 wrote:
Does everyone share my view on aero ?

No, if you want to go faster, aero is everything (provided your training and everything have been optimal given your circumstances). Having said that modern frames usually have some aero design features so they won't be too much slower.

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:24 pm 

I would get the giant tcr advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incoming
Rob English | Field

Ex's:
Factor | Field | Baum | Stinner

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:56 am 

Ive got an offer for a new caad12 with discs ultegra for $3,500 ... Tempted

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:56 am