Wanted Litespeed Ghisallo Frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

pdlpsher1 wrote:Indeed. However the chainstays are so thin that it could not be shaped to provide clearance to accommodate a standard crankset.

With respect - rubbish

Last edited by bikerjulio on Tue May 10, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Shishykish

by Shishykish

From the welding it looks horribly out of place! Unfortunately there is always one bad egg. But I still have a case of of Ti flavour. This bike is iconic! I want to ride the metal of the gods and have Zeus admire my fine steed of the transition area of the periodic table

Please tell your friends and family, far and wide of my Ghisallo quest!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

bikerjulio wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:Indeed. However the chainstays are so thin that it could not be shaped to provide clearance to accommodate a standard crankset.

With respect - rubbish

If you look at one of the photos via provided links the chainstays are straight with no bends. That's why the frame weight is so low. But with straight chainstays you run into clearance issues, which are highlighted by posters on another thread.

I wonder why the frame is no longer produced?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

pdlpsher1 wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:

With respect - rubbish

If you look at one of the photos via provided links the chainstays are straight with no bends. That's why the frame weight is so low. But with straight chainstays you run into clearance issues, which are highlighted by posters on another thread.

I wonder why the frame is no longer produced?

Well, nothing to do with cranksets fitting.

My Merckx/Litespeed has straight chainstays with no indents, and yet a standard crankset fits. The Ghisallo was mostly fitted with standard cranksets as the most cursory image search will show, and as the catalog shows. Compact cranksets came into popularity as the Ghisallo's run ended,

The referenced thread appears to show a rare, poorly welded frame.

Perhaps have another, more careful look at the comparison photos.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Alphega

by Alphega

Still on this quest?

I had my bikefit and the frame is too big for me! This is an M/L (55.5) Ghisallo 2005?. It wasn't built as a WW bike though.

kode54

by kode54

you sure that's a M/L? it looks like the next size down.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Shishykish

by Shishykish

Hello,

Wow....That looks sexy! I got hold of a 2002 frame in the end. But this one looks shinier . Would it be possible for a few more pics? Maybe one to confirm the top tube length as well?

RussellS

by RussellS

junchen wrote:Didn't know the ghisallo has a frame wt of 750g for a ti frame....!

Sorry about replying to a resurrected old thread. If you look in the Listings category at the top of the Weight Weenies webpage you will find several Ghisallo frames that were actually weighed by real people. Not fiction by the manufacturer. The Small and Medium frames were about 900 grams. The Large was about 1000 grams. So forget this nonsensical 750 gram garbage.

Another person asked why they died out, ended production. In the early-mid 2000s the carbon bike binge really took off. Carbon was the king ruler emperor. And carbon was light too. Light and cheap, pick both. Or real light and expensive carbon. With the Ghisallo you got light and expensive. Light and expensive titanium can't compete with real light and expensive carbon. Except on a custom exclusive basis. Litespeed was a big factory churning out bikes. Not a boutique custom builder. A factory charging custom boutique one on one price does not really work. And of course 6/4 titanium is not really a good metal for frame making. Its brittle and expensive to work with. So Litespeed charged a high price.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

You actually got a not so light, very expensive noodle.

kode54

by kode54

RussellS wrote:
junchen wrote:Didn't know the ghisallo has a frame wt of 750g for a ti frame....!

Sorry about replying to a resurrected old thread. If you look in the Listings category at the top of the Weight Weenies webpage you will find several Ghisallo frames that were actually weighed by real people. Not fiction by the manufacturer. The Small and Medium frames were about 900 grams. The Large was about 1000 grams. So forget this nonsensical 750 gram garbage.

Another person asked why they died out, ended production. In the early-mid 2000s the carbon bike binge really took off. Carbon was the king ruler emperor. And carbon was light too. Light and cheap, pick both. Or real light and expensive carbon. With the Ghisallo you got light and expensive. Light and expensive titanium can't compete with real light and expensive carbon. Except on a custom exclusive basis. Litespeed was a big factory churning out bikes. Not a boutique custom builder. A factory charging custom boutique one on one price does not really work. And of course 6/4 titanium is not really a good metal for frame making. Its brittle and expensive to work with. So Litespeed charged a high price.

there were lighter versions made initially. i still have mine which i converted to a single speed. for that purpose, its okay to ride whether its a noodle or not. but IIRC, there were changes that were made to address the BB area and such to make it stiffer...thus, putting on weight. i have one of the early models as the black decals were done before they were discontinued.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jacksatin

by jacksatin

I have just build the ghisalo on size 55. It is one of the legend.
Attachments
ghisalo size 55
ghisalo size 55

Alphega

by Alphega

jacksatin wrote:I have just build the ghisalo on size 55. It is one of the legend.

That's the exact same frame, size and model that i've got. I removed the decals on mine though.

Your build is a lot more exotic :) ... how much does that weight?

Alphega

by Alphega

It's definitely an M/L.

It's not a 750g Ghisallo and I'm not sure which model are those. Based on specs, this is a 902g frame but I weighed it at 895g. Not super-light but its far from being a noodle as others say.

jacksatin

by jacksatin

Alphega wrote:
jacksatin wrote:I have just build the ghisalo on size 55. It is one of the legend.

That's the exact same frame, size and model that i've got. I removed the decals on mine though.

Your build is a lot more exotic :) ... how much does that weight?

6.1 kg with SRM THM M3 and all parts( included speedplay and tune water bottle cage.
LOve it , no matter what

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Not a Ghisallo, but I have a 2008 Litespeed Siena, size Large, brand new in box with uncut Easton fork.

It was a warranty replacement from Litespeed which I never built up. Make me an offer.

I can ship from UK.