Adapter etap for baum and bb? - Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys.

Just bought a used Baum Cubano, it's will arrive in a week or two and i will try to have everything ready so I can build it up. Does anyone know if the "SRAM Clamp for Yaw Front Derailleur" can handle a etap front derailleur? Don't think there should be any problems with that? But the one i got now is a braze on on my caad10?

And when the website says it uses a BSA 68mm bb, should i just buy the Chris king threadfit 24 for my etap gxp crankset?

Hope you can help as always! :thumbup:

sungod

by sungod

when i installed mine i used the columbus fd clamp that came with the frame back in 2010, no problem at all

it previously had held a sram red fd, so i'd think the sram yaw one will be fine

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Oh thanks, i will look into one of those. Can you remember the diameter of the seatpost?

sungod

by sungod

just be clear, my frame wan't the baum, i'm just saying that you should be fine with the sram yaw clamp (or probably any other clamp)

this site http://realweights.com/index.php?modus=list&cat=4 says the baum seat tube is 34.9, but might be best to email baum and ask them handcrafted@baumcycles.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Nejmann wrote:Does anyone know if the "SRAM Clamp for Yaw Front Derailleur" can handle a etap front derailleur?

Yes. It's what is used in SRAM literature, and is what is depicted for a braze-on adapter in the SRAM eTap instructions.

Nejmann wrote:And when the website says it uses a BSA 68mm bb, should i just buy the Chris king threadfit 24 for my etap gxp crankset?

Yes - just make sure you get the GXP adapter ring with it.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

RichTheRoadie wrote:
Nejmann wrote:Does anyone know if the "SRAM Clamp for Yaw Front Derailleur" can handle a etap front derailleur?

Yes. It's what is used in SRAM literature, and is what is depicted for a braze-on adapter in the SRAM eTap instructions.

Nejmann wrote:And when the website says it uses a BSA 68mm bb, should i just buy the Chris king threadfit 24 for my etap gxp crankset?

Yes - just make sure you get the GXP adapter ring with it.

Thank you so much. Do you mean the BB Conversion Kit #9 then?

russianbear

by russianbear

If the BB on the frame is BSA 68, you just screw the GXP cups right into the frame, don't need any adapters.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

This diagram says something else or is that just me?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Nejmann wrote:Do you mean the BB Conversion Kit #9 then?

Correct.

russianbear wrote:If the BB on the frame is BSA 68, you just screw the GXP cups right into the frame, don't need any adapters.

He's buying a Chris King BB - you need an adapter ring for the NDS to work with the GXP setup.

eric

by eric

I would use a BB that's made for GXP. With real GXP BBs the NDS bearing provides the lateral location. The crank floats in the DS bearing. It's simple- no preload to adjust, just slap the crank in there and torque it down- and works well. The King BB requires setting bearing preload with spacers. You'll have the crank on and off until you get it right. Sram's GXP BBs work well and are inexpensive.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

eric wrote:The King BB requires setting bearing preload with spacers. You'll have the crank on and off until you get it right.

Not true.

russianbear

by russianbear

Yeah I was assuming he was using the GXP cups. Not sure why you wouldn't use the BB the crank was made with. CK is bling, but it's hardly noticeable under the crank.

eric

by eric

RichTheRoadie wrote:
eric wrote:The King BB requires setting bearing preload with spacers. You'll have the crank on and off until you get it right.

Not true.

It's in the instructions on their web site that I checked before posting.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

eric wrote:It's in the instructions on their web site that I checked before posting.

I've actually installed one. It's not true.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

So you installed it incorrectly? ;)