Cracked paint around BB area on new Ridley.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cdtf

by cdtf

Hey guys,

So I've had this bike from a few months now, and I really like it, but as I was cleaning it I noticed cracks all around the BB, non drive side only. Here are pics:

Pics are clickable.
The frame has no Al insert, it's all BB86 carbon.

Is it reasonable to expect a new frame? That was a custom paint job from Ridley, and a 5K bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

muntos

by muntos

5k bike but no decent camera or phone camera :) ? Sorry, but the pics are so bad that hardly you can see anything...

AZR3

by AZR3

Take pictures again but this time don't use an "Instagram" filter, can't see anything in those pics.

cdtf

by cdtf

That's no filter, but the awful camera on my phone.

Gonna try to take new pics.

kgt

by kgt

I can clearly see the crack at the first photo. Has your KBS checked it? I' ve seen Ridleys having similar issues btw.

cdtf

by cdtf

Unfortunately, the LBS is not the best. I'm quite sure the mechanic will take a quick look and then say that its nothing. If your frame aint broken in two, these guys wont help.

I took a few more pics.

I know it's hard to see. Basically, a thin hairline crack that goes almost all around the BB, in a perfect circle. The surface of the blue paint look uneven (with no clear coat) inside the circle.

If its cosmectic I can live with it. But I'm not sure.

I know that in the end, I'm in for an unpleasant trip to the LBS.

kgt

by kgt

Does not look like anything serious anyway.

newforker

by newforker

Hard to tell, does look like a rough finish when the masking was taken off.

Maybe try getting in contact with Ridley directly and see what they think?

Does the BB creak?

stormur

by stormur

Take image to photoshop, apply b&w, play with contrast and you'll see what is it. IMO 100% cracked bb area. Saw exactly like this few times, but on older and "tired" bikes... Warranty claim.

1st rule with CF : if there's any doubts : there's no doubts then ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

RussellS

by RussellS

Guessing Ridley will refer you to an official bike shop they use for this kind of warranty work. The shop will look at it and say paint cracks only. Not structural. Ridley will then say, "Yes we painted the bike. But our warranty does not cover custom paint jobs." I have a Ridley carbon Excalibur. No cracks in the paint around the bottom bracket. I would think if they are real structural cracks, you would feel it when you ride up hills. And hear creaking and movement.
Last edited by RussellS on Sun May 08, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

cdtf

by cdtf

Actually, there is a 2 years warranty on the paintjob.

We will see.

Few more pics:

simoncx

by simoncx

I had a ridley do the same thing within 2 weeks and was creaking badly, ridley replaced the frame. On my frame it looked worse than yours and it went all the way around the bb.

stormur

by stormur

isn't BB area so stiff that any paint ( even thick& white ) has any chance to crack from flex ? Isn't it the stiffest and structurally strongest part of the frame ?

I would understand seatstay/ chainstay paint crack ; quiet often not so long time ago at few brands, but BB ? IMHO nope. Not in place where exactly are biggest forces applied. If it's custom paint and fibers crack ( and I would bet on it ) - then... oops. It's always risk to modify frame within warranty time, isn't it ?

So popular taping won't help : wall thickness in bb area varies and gives various sound response. Sealing frame and blue gas is an option, but you need some CF "factory" nearby ( composite elements manufacturer- everyone has it for testing structure integrity ) - chances for that are rather small. So left two options : to risk or not to risk .

BTW painter will say it's crack, Ridley will say it's paint ;) Honesty, it that would happened to me - this is end of the frame. My health is worth more than xxxx €/$/£

Had 3-4 years ago half mark of yours ( on chainstay, white painted ) and BMC replaced frame immediately.

Edit . look carefully at latest images... maybe it's a chance that's paint : just to thick and at the end of shell.. but still - I wouldn't ride it .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

cdtf

by cdtf

stormur wrote:isn't BB area so stiff that any paint ( even thick& white ) has any chance to crack from flex ? Isn't it the stiffest and structurally strongest part of the frame ?

I would understand seatstay/ chainstay paint crack ; quiet often not so long time ago at few brands, but BB ? IMHO nope. Not in place where exactly are biggest forces applied. If it's custom paint and fibers crack ( and I would bet on it ) - then... oops. It's always risk to modify frame within warranty time, isn't it ?

So popular taping won't help : wall thickness in bb area varies and gives various sound response. Sealing frame and blue gas is an option, but you need some CF "factory" nearby ( composite elements manufacturer- everyone has it for testing structure integrity ) - chances for that are rather small. So left two options : to risk or not to risk .

BTW painter will say it's crack, Ridley will say it's paint ;) Honesty, it that would happened to me - this is end of the frame. My health is worth more than xxxx €/$/£

Had 3-4 years ago half mark of yours ( on chainstay, white painted ) and BMC replaced frame immediately.

Edit . look carefully at latest images... maybe it's a chance that's paint : just to thick and at the end of shell.. but still - I wouldn't ride it .

Nah Stormur, you don't get it. Ridley is both the frame builder and painter. They have an option called "Ridley Customizer", here in Belgium. You can choose the color of the frame and the logo, for 200 euros.

So at least, Ridley won't put the blame on the painter, because they ARE the painter too :P

LBS sent pics to Ridley, and I will bring them the bike too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

As a contrast, just dealt with cervelo on a 2012 RS with similar paint crack. Started claim in Monday, client is ridng brand new r3 today.