Cracked paint around BB area on new Ridley.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I had something similar to my Roubaix, but it was after a crash.

With yours, I'd get it replaced under warranty.

That said, it will likely not shorten the life of the bike, or cause you any issues at all.

I'll add to the pile-on... get a new camera.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I am pretty sure it's cracked paint from when the BB cups was pressed in. Have seen this more than a few times on different bikes.
Personally, I wouldn't bother if it doesn't get worse.

AJS914

by AJS914

It looks very minor to me and mostly hidden behind the crankset anyway. It wouldn't bother me.

I wouldn't call it a crack either. It looks like an artifact of masking during painting or maybe as the previous poster said, cup installation.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, it's probably just a crack in the paint, however... if it was my bike and it was only a few months old, and the paint was warrantied for two years, then hell yeah... I'd want them to fix it. Why not. The downside would be having to strip it down, and send it off, and deal with the wait and not having your bike during that time.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stormur

by stormur

cdtf wrote:
Nah Stormur, you don't get it. Ridley is both the frame builder and painter. They have an option called "Ridley Customizer", here in Belgium. You can choose the color of the frame and the logo, for 200 euros.

So at least, Ridley won't put the blame on the painter, because they ARE the painter too :P

LBS sent pics to Ridley, and I will bring them the bike too.

You're right - It wasn't obvious for me from your post - in this case .. Ridley has problem , not you ! :) Why to worry - that's great news !
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

cdtf

by cdtf

It's been 3 weeks.

I sent a mail to the LBS. They have been "busy" and did not even contact Ridley yet.

I dont know if name dropping is accepted here, but there is a big belgian shop at the french frontier you should avoid at all cost.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Drop the name on Twitter, and include Ridley.
https://twitter.com/Ridley_Bikes

Seriously. I'm not sure if this is going on in Europe, but Twitter in the US seems to be becoming the Customer Service Hotline for people.

ChanheeLee

by ChanheeLee

I do not think it is a serious problem.
When I saw the picture only.

ms6073

by ms6073

I agree with others that the crack was caused by the tools used to install the press-fit bottom bracket. While it does not seem like a structural issue, unless the mechanic applied to much torque when installing the bottom bracket, a proper paint job should not have been adversely affected by installing the bottom bracket.

BikeAnon wrote:Twitter in the US seems to be becoming the Customer Service Hotline for people.

Posting about product issues on web forums, frequented by several hundred or even several thousand people on a regular basis, can cause a bit of concern for a vendor. Posting to a global site like twitter, viewed daily by millions - now that is going to get the vendors attention real quick!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

cdtf

by cdtf

Follow up guys:

Ridley finally gave me an answer, and the contact guy was very nice and responsive.

They want me to bring the bike to my LBS. LBS will then have to pack it in a box and ship it back to Ridley HQ, so they can "take a look". No word on replacement.

So, I'm keeping it, as I don't want to stay without my bike for an extended period of time, probably to get it back unchanged in the end, since most of you believe it's only cosmetic, just like the mechanic at the LBS.

Just dont get a custom Ridley paint, as its subpar. I still love the way this bike rides.

THUNDERHORSE

by THUNDERHORSE

Is this a 2016?

What frame model and grouper do you have?
On Plastic Existence

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hard call, i think i would send the bike and have a claim that i want this fixed.

Wrong season i know. I think the paint is harder than the carbon which can be the problem.

Sure carbon has micro movements even if it seems that it's stiff as stone.
A guy i know had a crack in his BB, eventually it became a hole.

Sure it could be tension during BB installation of pressing in the cups.

Can it not be arranged so that you send the bike when you find that it's not high season?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

CampagnoloRules

by CampagnoloRules

Could you post a pic of the complete bike just for kicks? I really like that blue color.

Bely

by Bely

Ok I take awfully bad photos with my Nokia 6210 but I can't see anythhjng from these photos!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

fh8425

by fh8425

maybe you can remove a tiny portion of the paint to see if there is really a crack on the carbon or just paint crack ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com