Mosaic RT 1 vs Baum Corretto

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bely

by Bely

Anyone have any direct experience? The Baum seems very compliant and comfy. I can probably take just a little harsher a ride but would like something more jumpy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

I don't have a Baum but I do have a Mosaic RT-1. It's a taut ride. It feels racy, but not like an overly stiff carbon bike. It feels best when you're going 18+ MPH or at least putting that amount of watts into the bike (I weigh 145 and am 5'9"). Under that it communicates some road buzz which I actually like. You feel the road, it's not muted at all. It's not jarring but if you hit a square edge bump it'll send a definitive jolt through. Above that speed it really becomes magic carpet ride like. Very smooth but still communicates. I'm light, and I'm weak, I've not really had issues with getting front der rub. So it's stiff. I can compare this to my old straight gauge Litespeed which was much more noodley in comparison, especially the front end. In high speed sweepers the Litespeed took a lot more muscle and finesse to keep on line. The Mosaic is spot on, surgical. Some of that is geometry a lot of that is front end stiffness.

I don't have a Baum but can compare to a Parlee Z3. The Parlee which was a great bike was much more muted in its road feel. Stiff for sure, but did not communicate road buzz - high frequency undulations the same. Some people like that, I prefer the feel of the Mosaic. Both handled great.

My understanding is that Baum's are pretty awesome rides from a feel perspective. However, both bikes are totally custom so it's possible to get any ride you want out of them. Neither are stock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

easy question Bely.. get one of each :mrgreen:

FreaK

by FreaK

MPH? On a bicycle?
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

Sorry 28.9+ KPH

Bely

by Bely

Hmmm @sugarkane - sounds like I plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

You could have had your Baum build stiffer if you had specifically asked for it. If you order a Mosaic, just ask for a stiff one!

colnagoell

by colnagoell

Bely, I investigated a frameset by both builders some 2years ago and deciding to go with Mosaic. (RT-1 with ISP / Ti topper). I think that both are at the top of their game in building Ti (and steel) and seeing their weld and finish work only confirms their stature.
Aaron nailed my requests and built a custom frame that met all of my traits and requests. Mosaic's larger Ti headtube /tube selections also ticked boxes unavailable from Baum at the time. Previous to my RT-1 was a Colnago EPS and this was my starting point for ride characteristic. (I also still have a C40 -but that is another story). I admit the paint of BAUM had my heart, but my mind favored Aaron's desire to create a frameset around my riding style with a firm yet compliant ride and my request for a std English BB. End result was my modern day classic in brushed Ti (sorry Bely, no paint for my Ti -but I love your Field + repainted Speedvagen schemes) built with Campagnolo +Enve.
I don't think you go wrong with either builder judging by their material handling, fit and impeccable finish, and would expect that if you requested a stiffer Ti frame from Mosaic, Aaron and his team would more than deliver. I'd love to here your comparison, if your were to make the call...
In preparation for the next ride....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com