i-link issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Hi guys,

2 issues I'm having at the moment:

1) RD shifter (Red 22) seems a bit slow/sticky in returning after an up-shift.
2) I'm running i-links and minis through an AX4200 bar, which is internally routed. When static and turning the bars theres a fair bit of clicking and creaking, which I assume is the i-links popping in and out of the holes or rubbing against eachother.

Suggestions please gents

mbrider

by mbrider

I have tried ilinks too, and had similar issues (though the shifting and braking are a little better than regular cables, a snappier more direct feel).

I have since given up on them. For me personally I found the 50 odd grams saved just were not worth it, for the extra maintenance and install headache.

If I were to do it again, I would not use them in a aero / internal routed bar (unless just the brake, for a Etap or Di2 install for example) and I would have to try and run some kind of heat shrink tubing on the outside, to try and prevent rubbing / creaking / sweat corrosion etc.

This again would add more complexity and time to this kind of install. So, I am not actually likely to do this :)

Have you tried dripping lube into them?

Did you use the liner?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Yeh I ran the liner through the bars. Will try a bit of lube on em. The creaking isn't a big deal, just a bit annoying when you first grab the bike. Never noticed it when riding.

FreaK

by FreaK

Interesting. I've been threatening myself with the prospect of swapping out my cables for iLinks as well. I'm sad to hear that they seem to be as noisy as Nokons. I'd assume they were less likely to suffer from the unloading phenomenon that Nokons and similar do since the length of the 'housing' part stays the same due to being clipped together, but it sounds like you may have the other problem of the two-piece topology. That problem being that the liner can and does stretch or migrate. The old hack is to splay the ends of the liner, trumpet style.

For all the trouble, any word whether Vertebrae are noisy? They come with shrinkwrap already.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Never had problems running them externally on my previous bike, so suspect its a case of some rubbing where they meet on entering/exiting the holes in the bar. Not applicable with most bars, and if I was changing things around, I'd probably run em externally next time. Don't be put off; when it's all dialed in it's weight savings AND slightly enhanced performance IMO. Only downside is that it's more of a pain to set up, set aside a hour or 2 first time round!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

Ran them and the Bungarus ones. They were okay but had issues with the rear derailed loop wanting to kink when taking off rear wheel and as a result would stick when shifting. They creaked too.

Like the responder above I ended up abandoning them. Just not worth the trouble in the end. Already enough of a hassle snaking cables through the Foil.