Hot weather ultralight Climbers jerseys: do they work?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Living in Florida and anticipating the inevitable hot summer months, I've been considering one of the new breed of ultralight "Climbers" jerseys. Various brands, like castelli/sportful/ale, seem to be touting these large hole mesh jerseys as the best option for hot weather.
But I have reservations, as the large holes obviously don't offer sun protection, especially on the back (remember Froome's tan a couple years back). Does anyone have experience with one of these, and do they work better in extremely hot weather than a good quality well vented jersey?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I think they do work, but obviously, you have to be aware of the sun protection factor. I like the Pactimo Ascent Air for those really hot days and the new Ascent Air 2.0 is even better than the previous one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

SO far the best jersey that I've used for summer hot day is the Ale; very thin material but no problems related to sun protection (it's not a real mesh, just very ventilated fabric especially on the front side).

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I think so.

My team goes with Hincapie Velocity line for our kits. A couple years ago I ordered a couple of the climbers jerseys. At first, I didn't really think there was a difference. I tend to get hot very quickly, and often almost completely unzip my jersey on warm rides. I have noticed that I do not feel the need to unzip the climbers jersey like I do my regular jerseys.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Running Cuore Bronze jerseys as our team kit, much cooler than anything else I have used.
Using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

To the OP, are you using a good base layer?

've found that using a good, zero weight, mesh base layer really helps in the summer... it keeps the jersey fabric slightly elevated and allows for air circulation against the skin so that sweat can evaporate and keep you cool.

mimason

by mimason

+1 on Ale. There is some UV protection in the fabric IIRC. Regardless they are the the bomb. The bibs are also incredible.

I'm not sure of the model off hand but we get custom kits made for the group.

chorus88

by chorus88

Yes. The Castelli Climbers jersey works great in hot temps.
It's expensive & delicate!
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

tommasini

by tommasini

CrankAddictsRich wrote:To the OP, are you using a good base layer?

've found that using a good, zero weight, mesh base layer really helps in the summer... it keeps the jersey fabric slightly elevated and allows for air circulation against the skin so that sweat can evaporate and keep you cool.

In my younger racing days we always thought highly of the Castelli fishnet undershirts. But our primary goal was to reduce damage (from a race crash) occurring to the skin and outer jersey via the 2 clothing layers that could move about across each other. Once my racing stopped I handed off my fishnet shirts to an upstart junior

Today there are also so many options for hot summer undershirts. In line with questions here about jerseys. Any suggestions as to the best of the best for hot weather undies

wingguy

by wingguy

Has anyone used jerseys with moisture (sweat) activated chemical cooling built in?

We have a bunch of Sugoi RS Ice jerseys left over and I was thinking of giving it a shot. Theoretically should be very cool without sun/mesh related issues.

wombus

by wombus

I've ridden regular Jerseys when it was 39 celsius on the flats and over 30 at the top of the hills. When it's hot, you're just going to be fkn hot regardless of what you wear. Pick light colours and drink lots. I'd be shocked if an ultralight jersey makes any difference other than mindset

micky

by micky

kgt wrote:Which Ale? I am a fan too.

I think it's called PRR?
The top of the line (this season they changed name as far as I understood).
It feels like wearing nothing but it's not so much see-throught as a few other brands.

I know it sounds marketing, but from cheap jersey to a top of the line like the Ale there's a huge difference in feeling.

emorydptt

by emorydptt

Here in Florida, I use full zips and quality sleeveless base layers. I find the combination works well than just a jersey alone.
Last edited by emorydptt on Mon May 09, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com