Lightest chain rings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I have three choices that are used. Stronglight, sworks, and sram red. Its going on a sram red exogram crankset. The sworks are only twenty bucks, the other two are fifty. I cant find any weights on sworks. Btw, id rather not comprise a ring that will wear quick if its only saving me 10-20g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Have you looked at cold forged Praxis chainrings? http://www.praxiscycles.com/road-cyclocross/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

Twenty bucks for chainrings!? Have I read that wrong?

Marin

by Marin

mulletmaster wrote:Twenty bucks for chainrings!? Have I read that wrong?

No but you didn't read the 1st sentence :D

Stronglight will be the lightest by far.

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

Ah.... Indeed my mistake

964Cup

by 964Cup

Stronglight, but used chainrings can be a false economy. +1 for Praxis Works.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Unfortunately Praxis Works are not compatible with the 4 arm sram red exogram crankset.
the sworks & stronglight might not fit either with the exogram "hidden 5th mount"

http://www.praxiscycles.com/compatibility/

AE86Micah

by AE86Micah

I use Praxis and love them. I've heard they will be coming out with a compatible set shortly.

junchen

by junchen

Wish there's praxis for campagnolo 5 arms...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Tenlegs wrote:Unfortunately Praxis Works are not compatible with the 4 arm sram red exogram crankset.
the sworks & stronglight might not fit either with the exogram "hidden 5th mount"

http://www.praxiscycles.com/compatibility/

Sorry to counter you, but even Praxis themselves stated on this very site that they are compatible, while not "officially" compatible (because they would rather 'market' a 'special version' and make more money).

All you need to do is rotate the chainring 180°.

I would pull up the thread, but in that very thread a few WW users apparently didn't know how circles work ( :lol: )...and I don't want to embarrass.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

prendrefeu wrote:All you need to do is rotate the chainring 180°.

The only issue you would have doing this is that the chain 'catch pin' will be in the wrong position.

The replacement SRAM Red 22 large chainrings come with two chain 'catch pins' (offset by 180 degrees) so that the chainring is compatible with either a four-arm or the older five-arm design.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

First, this is Weight Weenies - ideally you'll have gotten rid of the catch pin. Like any WW you do have access to tools to remove it, right? Save some weight.
Second, you shouldn't need the catch pin if you've set up your FD proper.
Third, even if your catch pin is 180° so what? Does it hinder shifting or performance? Nope. Does it hurt humanity? Nope. Does it irk superficial, vanity-centric people who are spending their riding time looking at your bike instead of actually riding and enjoying the scenery? :noidea: Why are you riding with them?

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

I'd never fit a chainring without a catchpin in the right place and I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it either,
as to removing it to save weight? that just sounds moronic, chains can and do come off, shit happens and always will
that's why every chainset/chainring has them and always will regardless of what you say or do with your bikes.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Not all outer chainrings have them. They are not necessary. Helpful, yes, but not necessary for functionality of the chainring. Some chainrings provide them as 'options' (ie, removable).

And you're saying rotating a chainring 180° is moronic? Oh do tell us how circles work, this will be good. :popcorn:

There are more 'moronic' things that can be done to save weight, such as drilling holes into a fork, but filing down or removing a catchpin isn't one of them.

Yes, 'shit happens'... might as well stay at home then, sell the bike and spend the money on cable tv subscriptions! The world is too dangerous to take even the most calculated risk on something as minor as a catchpin. :roll:

Or hey, set up your FD properly. That'll help. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Im running stronglight rings on my exogram crank without any issues. Front shifting is also great. Ill check when i get home but i don't think they have a catchpin. I dont remember having to grind one down but i could be wrong. But I wouldn't call it moronic for not having one.