Help with an existing build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luften

by Luften

Hi,

I have a Merckx EMX-7 which I built a couple of years ago and really haven't ridden much, partly because it's too stiff/aggressive for me. I haven't been able to ride over the past year, but now I'm looking to get back into the saddle and thinking whether to sell this bike and build up another, or whether to change out some of the components to make this an easier/smoother ride. My build is super stiff and I feel every bump in the road, but I'd say it's particularly tough on the wrist and elbow joints (Pro Stealth Evo bars probably aren't helping here). As much as I love the stiffness for power transfer, it beats me up too much.

Any suggestions of components that would help?

Thanks in advance. Bike specs below. NB. I'm running my tubeless tires at 85/80psi rear/front and weigh about 190lbs.

---

- Merckx EMX-7 Frame 54cm
- Shimano Dura Ace 9000 Gruppo
- Campagnolo Shamal Ultra 2 Way Wheels
- Schwalbe One Tubeless Tires 25mm
- Shimano Pro Stealth EVO Handlebars 42cm

NNB. I have the bike listed for sale currently if anyone is interested as well!

spookyload

by spookyload

Put the widest tires you can fit into the frame. 28mm tires at 85 PSI will make it feel totally different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Luften

by Luften

Thanks. I already have them at 25mm - think there will be a big difference stepping up a size?

I was thinking to replace the cockpit as a first step - would love some recommendations as to what is comfortable while still in keeping with the build quality and design (and of course lightweight).

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

From what I've read, the Shamals aren't terrible, but are not a very forgiving wheelset (no personal experience riding them, but read up a bit as I love the look and been interested in a set for myself), I'm sure the cockpit could offer some relief as well. That said, It's a bit of a diminishing return... You have a great kit on the frameset. I'm sure selling it/replacing it would have an ultimately lower net cost than trying to shuffle parts/wheels around. If I were in your shoes, I'd keep the responsiveness of the components and cut to the chase and replace the Merckx

Luften

by Luften

Hmm, thanks. So you think the Merckx is the main reason? Any suggestions on a good replacement?

I was thinking to switch out for 3T ergonova bars and 3T ARX II alloy stem as a first step, which wouldn't be too much in terms of cost.

964Cup

by 964Cup

1. Tyres - try a 28 as others have said.
2. Seatpost - something carbon, and shim down for a 27.2 if the frame is 31.6. Maybe a Canyon VCLF or a Spesh Cobl-Goblr (stupid name). I use Ritchey Superlogic and find them supple.
3. Saddle - try a Brooks Cambrium C15 (not light, but super-comfortable)
4. Tape - try 3.2mm Lizardskins
5. Gel pads - try these under the tape

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com