Pedals that don't squeak

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SFbobb

by SFbobb

Are there any?
I use Look Keo Blade 2. Love the pedals and cleats. Easy in and out. Good power. However if I don't keep spraying the pedal body with PTFE once a week or so, they start to squeak on long uphills when it is otherwise quiet. Very annoying.
Anyone have better experience with Shimano, Xpedo, Time ???

spookyload

by spookyload

Have you tried the dual compound cleats from Look? They are white on the inside where they contact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

SFbobb wrote:Are there any?

Shimano DA9000, silent & reliable............. not the lightest but life is a compromise
BB

Coffee & carbon

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Anything Shimano, always dead silent.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

None of my pedals squeek... I maintain them and the cleats...

Dez33

by Dez33

beanbiken wrote:
SFbobb wrote:Are there any?

Shimano DA9000, silent & reliable............. not the lightest but life is a compromise

+1 to this.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

raisinberry777 wrote:Anything Shimano, always dead silent.

X 11ty billion.
Using Tapatalk

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Loved Looks for a long time and the squeaking drove me nuts, and I got Triflow all over everything, trying to keep them quiet and then Phil grease and 4 or five other compounds, including chain wax. Made the jump to Speedplay and four years in without a peep. Not as easy in as Look, but easy enough to learn the required ankle twist. Caveats: always use cleat covers when not in the pedals, and use a light lube sparingly

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Have had the same experience with Look Keo Blade 2 - Exustar look compatible cleats seem to be a little quieter than Looks own but I eventually swapped systems. Prior to Look I was using Speedplay Zero and really liked them but the lateral play issue was doing my head in, you may have a better experience in that regard and they really don't require much more maintenance than what you are currently doing with the Looks. Just need to add a re-grease every so often and you're golden.

At the moment I have taken a leap to Keywin. The cleat doesn't move at all once engaged and float is provided via bearings and the pedal body itself so there is nothing to 'squeak' as nothing really moves. They are light, easy to clip into and fully rebuildable. The cleats also seem super tough, being a hard plastic. The size of the platform is also large and provides a really secure feeling underfoot. I have since bought another pair.

Keywin's may not be the sexiest pedal out there but they are certainly worth considering. I have the CRM version as I couldn't justify the Carbon's.

gravity

by gravity

I have never experience squeaky pedals. That being said, I have only used Shimano 105 and Time xpresso 4.

PJCM

by PJCM

+1 for Keywin. No moving parts to squeak.

Rick

by Rick

There is a whole separate thread that includes my struggles (and other people's) with Look Blade 2 and noise.

If you want silent and bullet-proof reliabililty, go Shimano. I now use Dura-Ace, Ultegra, and 105. Except for the weight difference they all work the same and work perfectly and silently.

sychen

by sychen

No squeaking from my speedplay zeros... I'm not lubing it much either.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

Shimano as a fit and forget deal speed play if you don't mind maintainence

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DuncanS

by DuncanS

My Shimano DA9000's squeak. Have to keep pedals and cleats perfectly clean, or grease the contact points. I've been told that candle wax works wonders, so I'm going to try that instead of grease.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk