advice on a build - Marinoni Ciclo refurbish project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ethnik

by ethnik

All right, opinions are welcome. Recently stumbled on an older Marinoni Ciclo touring bike at a garage sale, the hapless folks were letting it go for $100.

I jumped on the opportunity and am now planning out a build. it is currently built up with Veloce triple, though the crankset and bottom bracket need replacing so will swap out for a Veloce double crankset. Loving the alloy look which compliments the color and chroming on the frame, and seeing as all the parts are in excellent condition other than the crankset, I don't see any sense in swapping out for an entirely new group (was considering Athena 11 in the alloy finish....briefly)

Weight is not a concern here, I just want it to look good.

Am mulling over going white for the contact points with silver cockpit and post, as follows;

1. Thompson stem and post, silver
2. Fizik Arione VXS Kium, white/black
3. bars will have white Fizik performance bar tape

I am uncertain which direction to go on bars - should I get Ritchey classic alloy bars in the silver finish to continue the theme all the way through, or go with Thompson bars to complete the full Thompson cockpit? As the Thompson bars are carbon, the black bars would clash with the rest no? Or would they carry over the black carbon fork on the front end properly?

Having a hard time deciding and thoughts are welcome!

Lastly, some Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm gumwalls will be getting the call on the wheels, though havent decided which wheel set to purchase to replace the stock, heavy as an anvil Rigida touring rims.

This bike will be seeing regular, daily use as a classy commuter.
Attachments
IMG_1667.JPG
Last edited by ethnik on Mon May 02, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

$100 for that?! Such a deal. Good find.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ethnik

by ethnik

yup, I couldn't believe it either. I gave it a good once over to make sure it was in good shape and quickly handed over my money!

Looking forward to completing this project, Marinoni's are lovely, timeless frames built by a master.

LouisN

by LouisN

Triple steal if you paid in Canadian dollars :lol:

Louis :)

ethnik

by ethnik

LouisN wrote:Triple steal if you paid in Canadian dollars :lol:

indeed ;)

back to the question at hand - alloy or carbon bars, and would the Ritchey bars with Thompson post/stem be sacriligious?

LouisN

by LouisN

I don't think so. IMO don't waste money on carbon.
But this bike begs for classic bend bars.
Depending on the roads where you commute, I'd consider Veloflex Master 25, or Vittoria Pave in either 25 or 27.

ethnik

by ethnik

yes was considering the Veloflex, the gumwall is a tad more subdued in hue than the Vittoria's and would probably look better with the bike.

Ritchey classic bend alloy bars have been ordered, i've got some older carbon bars kicking around and can quickly swap them out for comparison.

Now onto the wheels.......

FreaK

by FreaK

Personally i'd tend towards Neutrons or the badass looking new all black Shamal Mille. I love riding Neutrons, they'd also be the more aero choice, i think aesthetically the newer models are a bit too busy though.

Living in Montreal I see a lot of Marinonis with factory builds and a huge proportion of them are 100% Veloce builds with Excellence rims, pretty solid but not exactly in keeping with the idea of a custom Zona or Spirit frame.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

ethnik

by ethnik

The Shamal is on my radar, as is a set of Bora One 35's, there are some pretty good deals out right now on the new wider version. $1900 CAD for the wheel set is not too bad. I may just go tubular at that price and really have some fun.

Either that or I go hand built off some Record hubs I have kicking around, though need to decide which rim to build on, either an H-Son or Pacenti.

Going to swap out the stock FSA headset for a silver Chris King as well to complete the classic silver look.

Lastly, mulling over getting the fork painted to patch the frame. That black carbon just looks out of place.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

The Thomson silver is kinda weird in my opinion and doesn't really match for a true retro look. I'd go full Richey classic as it's a true chrome solves you bar debate

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

tigoose

by tigoose

look at the Nitto options

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com