Wind-resistant knee warmers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Does anybody have recommendations for or use windblock or windfront knee warmers?

I currently have Descente knee warmers, which are thin and just warm enough for most riding. However, on chilly alpine descents they are just too thin and it takes quite some time for my knees to warm up again if I have another ascent.

Nanoflex is likely out as the sizing doesn't work for me (judging by my Nanoflex leg warmers). I do have knickers and leg warmers of course, but on some days knee warmers and shorts just work best.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

Well, I have a pair of these:....
http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/atdstdolaknw.html

...that have the opposite problem: they are so warm that they are really only good for days that are cold enough that I would ordinarily just start out wearing full tights. Otherwise, I am riding around thinking "man my knees are toasty warm!"
But i suppose it is all in how relatively sensitive your knees are. I am generally a cold-sissy, and like to dress warm all over, but my legs and knees are not a particularly sensitive area.
You might try them.
But they aren't exactly "wind resistant". They get their warmth from just being thick and fuzzy. They are good in wind, but only by virtue of being double layer in the front.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Bummer that the Nanoflex's sizing don't work for you because I've found they are the best knee warmers I've tried (Castelli, Garneau, PI, Assos, Specialized) when it's windy or rainy. They fit small so I have to size up for knees and arms.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^^Hmm, if the Nanoflexes are that good, then I might have to take the chance and order one size up.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

The Nanoflex material is quite wind- and water-resistant.

glepore

by glepore

+1 on Nanoflex. I wear small in most things, even Castelli, but the small full length legwarmers are too long and tight. The "knee warmers"( more like knicker length) are fine. Not the best in the cold, but great in damp and wind.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Thanks Greg. I tried on my S size Nanoflex legwarmers again and the fit is fine down to my calves, they are just insanely tight at the ankles.

I'll hunt down some Nanoflex knee warmers.

peted76

by peted76

I use the Sportful no rain knee warmers all the time, they are probably a size to big (long) for my little legs and think I managed to wear them all winter/weather with some long socks :)

964Cup

by 964Cup

+1 for Sportful; otherwise Nanoflex. DHB's lightweight warmers are excellent for chilly but not cold weather.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com