BBInfinite Removal Help - Anybody have the tools or is there another way?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solarider

by solarider

I have just sold my Cervelo and it has a BBInfinite Campagnolo unit installed.

The new user will be using SRAM.

I need to get it removed ASAP. I am based in the UK. Getting the tool from BBInfinite will be time consuming and costly. I won't be using the unit again since my next frame has a good old fashioned threaded bb.

The BBInfinite method involves an airline, air hammer and their drift (none of which I have!)

So, a few questions:

1) Is there another way of removing it (bearing in mind I won't be using it again)? I have Google'd a search, but there doesn't seem to be any other way.

2) Does anybody in the UK have the tools by any chance?

3) If I can get the tools, is it really as easy as it look on the video?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

It can be pressed out in the same manner as a threaded insert that is pressed into a BB30 bottom bracket shell. I used a spare peice of PVC plumbing pipe 4" long, 3" in diameter(I think) and used the plastic driver bushing supplied with the kit to reverse the process outlined in the installaton directions.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

solarider

by solarider

Tried that and the pipe just deforms. The BBInfinite does seems very well fixed in place.

Has anybody tried the official tools, and does the technique work as easily as they make it appear? If so, in order to remove the bb cleanly and without damaging the frame that I about to sell, I am not about to bodge it for the sake of a few £s and will probably order the tools and search for somebody who has an air hammer (not exactly a common tool in the UK!).

ms6073

by ms6073

solarider wrote:The new user will be using SRAM.

Just re-read your original post and would ask why not pursue the simplest approach and replace the bearings with SRAM GXP? The outer diameter for the bearings is the same for both bottom bracket styles and the bearings are easily removed with a bottom bracket tool kit or even with a Park Tool BBT-90.3.

solarider wrote:Tried that and the pipe just deforms. The BBInfinite does seems very well fixed in place.

If you don't care about the drive side bearing, the quickest way to remove the assembly is to use a brass punch placed against the drive side bearing face then use a dead blow hammer and to drive the assembly out by force. I used 2 sections of 2" PVC couplers and there based on the thickness, there is no way this would deform. That said, a pneumatic air hammer would be a common tool for a technician at an auto body repair shop - you do have those in the UK, right?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Karim

by Karim

I read this thread recently as i was retrofitting Di2 to my Cervelo S5 vwd so needed the clearance for the wiring.
I went the pvc pipe route. 50mm interior diameter, 4mm thick (zero deformation) and 95mm long (cut to length with a hack saw).
Used a Parktool BBP-1 to pull the module out with cassette tool to brace it against the pipe and a couple of different bushings. No problems. Well accept the drive side ceramitech bearing needs replacing as quite rough versus the non drive side which is like new. 
Hope this helps as this thread sent me in the right direction to start with!
Attachments
DSC_0680.JPG
DSC_0681.JPG
DSC_0684.JPG
DSC_0685.JPG
DSC_0686.JPG
DSC_0687.JPG

Attermann

by Attermann

Campagnolo uses cups, so you just can't change the bearings to a gxp type, and the bearings are firm on the axle, so your suggestions won't work.

micky

by micky

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Interesting, I just removed a BBInfinite for Rotor 3D+ and installed a BBInfinite for Campagnolo.

I ordered and used their tool kit. Since I have a manufacturing facility, an air compressor and air supply were not an issue, but after beating on it for close to an hour with their air hammer I called and talked with Gary. Great guy, super knowledgeable, and said most guys air hammer it right out without issue, some go after it and it may take a day or two, others resort to the acorn nut supplied in their kit and use tools from Jeremy Clarkson's toolbox.

I opted for the final option, since I didn't care about saving the old BB, and it worked quite well after a few heavy placed blows with a large hammer (I was sweating bullets I didn't miss and sink the hammer through the downtube). Once it started moving, I returned to the air hammer, thinking ok I got it loose and I'll be able to drive it out in a more controlled manner ... nope. After loosening the fillings in my teeth more, and returned to the "brute force and lots of concern" method.

The metal die they supply with the tool kit fits perfectly in the BB, and air hammer bit is threaded for the acorn nut. So the part you're striking with a hammer is 10 inches or so away from your frame ... until you have to drive it out the rest of the way (4th and 5th pic in above post). Just like baseball, keep your eye on the prize, don't look anywhere else other than where you want the hammer to hit. FYI, I'm a big guy and I had to give it some "good swings" with the hammer before she started moving. Enjoy, it's not for the faint of heart and nor is pressing a new one in with all the "pops" and constantly trying to keep it aligned.

I gotta say, I am very happy with the quality of the BB and the fact I will never hear "creaks" again. Also, the guys at BBInfinite are great people. Give them a call or email, they'll be happy to help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com