Carbon or Ti Narrow/Wide 50T Chainring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Synnove

by Synnove

I'm making the jump to 1x11 for my tri bike, and have settled on a 11-32 cassette with a 50t front. I know Wolftooth makes a great 50t narrow/wide 110BCD ring, but I'd really fancy a Ti ring due to the lighter weight/better durability, or even possibly a carbon ring (since there is no front ring shifting, I imagine it'd last a lot longer vs a 2x setup).

My research hasn't turned up anything, so I'm curious if any of you might have leads on where such a ring could be sourced?

ras11

by ras11

I agree! A 50t narrow wide light weight narrow wide is a missing element in the WW market! With light 11-32 cassette options from SRAM, Edco, and others, it makes sense to have a 50t. I live in a hilly area, and a 50x32 is perfectly fine for grades up to 13% in my opinion.

My searches came up short also..

CarbonTi has narrow wide single rings, but not in 50t AFAIK. FiberLyte I don't think offer narrow wide.

That gets you into aluminum. SRAM makes the obvious 50t, but heavy by WW standards. The light ring makers like Extralite, TA, and others have yet to make narrow wide.

If weight is not a consideration, you might also look at the Vision Metron TT with Megatooth. It only comes in narrow wide 50t.
:-) Toys-R-Us

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Synnove

by Synnove

Juanmoretime wrote:It's from Fberlyte. Stephen is a member here on the sight. I used it for two years before going to a different set up and never dropped my chain once.

PS The derailleur came off later.

I assume your RD isn't a clutch type? I train on and commute (when the weather is nice) on my tribike, so I either want a narrow/wide chaining or a clutch RD to insure no chain foul-ups.

ras11 wrote:If weight is not a consideration, you might also look at the Vision Metron TT with Megatooth. It only comes in narrow wide 50t.

It's a bit too heavy for my taste (going to try and go with an Sworks as it received top marks from fairwheel). I thought megatooth was just longer chain teeth? I didn't see a mention of narrow/wide on their page for that crankset.

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

Anyone found a narrow wide 52 or 53 in 130 other than SRAM?

Synnove

by Synnove

Wolftooth makes a wide/narrow 52T 130.

ras11

by ras11

mulletmaster wrote:Anyone found a narrow wide 52 or 53 in 130 other than SRAM?

Apparently Rotor is releasing their QX1 rings in upto 52t in 2016... So says their press release. They are also making a carbon ring, but not sure if it's narrow wide or not.
:-) Toys-R-Us

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

A narrow wide q ring I'm road size is something I'd be intrigued to try, thanks!

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

I looked on the wolftooth website and couldn't work out how to buy a set anyone actually bought a set?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com